1. Default want to visit out West

Will be spending a week in Phoenix area. Week 2 would really like to get in some National Parks (Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone??) Is this realistic? Never been in this area so want to get in as much as possible. Don't mind driving. Can fly out of different location. Any suggestions?

Welcome!

With only a week, the most realistic plan would be the Grand Canyon and the southern Utah parks. Rushmore and Yellowstone is too long a haul.

Default lots of options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Phoenix can be a great place to start exploring lots of national parks, but I do agree that Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore are probably too far away.

I'd say that your best bet would be to focus on the Grand Canyon and then the other 4-corners area parks like Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley (tribal park not apart of nps), Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, and perhaps Rocky Mountain - just to name a few of the possibilities. You could do either a loop or a one way trip finishing in Denver.

Another good option to consider would be California - heading towards Death Valley, Yosemite, Sequoia, and the coast highway. Again, this could be a loop, or a one way trip ending in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

There are also more options to explore just in Arizona and New Mexico, but that's a taste of what you could do in a week without being overly rushed.

Default Plenty closer to 'home'.

I agree with the above points. If it were I, I would be looking at Grand canyon > Zion >Bryce canyon > Scenic byway 12 to Torrey and onto Moab [Arches/Canyonlands] via Capital Reef NP. You could then head south on 191[possible detour to Monument valley] past Canyon De Chelley to I40 past Petrified forest, and back to Phoenix via Payson.

That would be quite a schedule to visit them all, but it makes for a great drive with plenty of options.

Default I just got back from Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I agree with the above points. If it were I, I would be looking at Grand canyon > Zion >Bryce canyon > Scenic byway 12 to Torrey and onto Moab [Arches/Canyonlands] via Capital Reef NP. You could then head south on 191[possible detour to Monument valley] past Canyon De Chelley to I40 past Petrified forest, and back to Phoenix via Payson.

That would be quite a schedule to visit them all, but it makes for a great drive with plenty of options.
    I just got back from the Southern Utah Parks and they were spectacular. I did the exact route that Dave suggests, in reverse, starting in Moab. Route 191 had sights as awesome as the National Parks and Route 12 was great as well.