1. Default Road trip from Sf for 7-10 days in Decemeber

My first road trip ever. Starting and ending in San francisco. 2 adults and 2 kids ages 6 and 10. Any recommendations. Done LA and SanDiego a bunch so anything other than that. Thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default Mountains, Desert, or Red Rock

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you've already done the coast down to San Diego, then the three most obvious alternatives are :

1) The mountains of northern and central California including Yosemite National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area, Crater Lake National Park and the various redwood parks around Orick.

2) The southwest deserts including Mojave National Preserve, Death Valley National Park, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area and Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

3) The red rock areas of Arizona and Utah including Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument and Bryce Canyon National Park.

Without too much effort you could even take a couple of sites from two of those options and combine them in one trip, but those are probably the best options available to you that still leave more time for enjoying the places you've driven to than the time it takes to drive.

3. Default

Will you be sightseeing in San Francisco Bay area during your 7-10 days or will you spend all of them traveling? Do you and your kids prefer rural or urban areas? The high mountain areas are likely to have snow (Yosemite, Lassen, Crater lake and Lake Tahoe) with opportunities for winter sports. The higher elevations in Arizona and Utah may also have snow. The redwoods and coast north of SF will be warmer but not as warm as the southern deserts. I'm sure you know that there will be more travelers at the end of Dec.

4. Default Road trip in december

Hi Jessica,
    We live in San francisco so we wont be doing that. I realise there will be more travelleres in December but thats our only option. I am open to both rural and urban. Just something different from everyday. We have donr tahoe ,LA and SanDiego so anything apart from those.
    Thanks in adavance.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-15-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: No need for quote for in-line response. Removed for easier reading.

South of England.

Default Your call.

It really comes down to personal preferences, once you have an idea of what appeals this time we can certainly help you to fill in the blanks. If it were a 10 day break and considering the time of year I might consider a loop from SF to Grand canyon [possibly via Death Valley] and then up to Zion NP in southern Utah [Monument valley/Lake Powell/Antelope canyon/Bryce canyon all possibilities to choose from] and then make my way around the north of the Sierras via Tonopah, [ET highway?] Lee Vining and Reno. You could head down to Vegas from Zion and visit Death valley on the way back by heading through on 190 and north on 395 through Bishop etc.

Lots of great options, so once you have it figured out where you want to spend time, for how long and how many miles you want to clock up, we might be able to make other suggestions.

6. Default

Hi Dave,
    Thanks ! I am stil thinking but with the kids I dont want to dbe driving too much. one possibility was palm springs, death valley ,mojave dessert.
    The other was death valley,grand canyon and then not sure?
    what about oregon but probably too wet.
    what are your thoughts?

South of England.

Default Time and distance.

It's all about getting the balance right, the balance your happy with considering the want of not too much driving, and that will reflect on whether it is to be a 7 or 10 day trip. As for the weather, nothing is certain wherever you go, it has a mind all of it's own !

You could possibly combine the first 2 ideas and go to Palm Springs [Joshua Tree NP] and out to the Grand canyon and back to Death valley, with the Mojave being possible. Depending on weather and time you could head home from DV via Lake Isabella and head up to Sequoia NP. That would be about 4 full days of driving though, and might only be suitable as part of a 10 day trip. Over to you.