Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Bozeman to Las Vegas Mid May

Hi there hoping you guys could give me a bit of help with this road trip

We are Driving from Bozeman on the 19th May next year and need to arrive in Vegas on the 24th. We want to spend 4 nights inside Yellowstone and then the last night maybe around the Zion area before driving into Vegas. Any ideas on where to stay & which route to take.

Many Thanks

Mark

Default Fast and Furious

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If your goal is to leave Yellowstone on the morning of the 23rd and be in the vicinity of Zion by the time you bed down, you really only have one option and that is to take I-15 all the way with minimal stops. leave Yellowstone to the west on US-20 and take that all the way to I-15 at Idaho Falls and then just continue south until you stop for the night. A decent day's driving would put you 550 miles down the road, around Beaver UT where you would have a good choice of lodgings. The next reasonably-sized town would be Cedar City and at 600 miles that is too far to plan on given that it will take you a while to get going in the morning, get out of Yellowstone, and get to the highway.

AZBuck

Welcome!

All the roads in Yellowstone may or may not be open yet on those dates, and only some of the in-park lodging will be open. I'd plan on using the west entrance to get in and out.

West Yellowstone to Cedar City via US-20 and I-15 is about as far as you can reasonably expect to drive in 1 day. I'd plan on an overnight there, there are several hotels there.

EDIT: Buck types faster than me - Beaver is a good choice.

Default A head start perhaps?

It would be worth considering leaving Yellowstone on the afternoon of the 22nd and get a head start a couple of hours or so south, putting the lovely little town of Springdale UT [Gateway to Zion] as real possibility the next day. Even an overnight in Jackson WY would make it possible and you could spend a little time in the Tetons if you started out early afternoon.

5. Default

Thanks for the replies guys and the warm welcome

So taking onboard what you have said......

Enter Yellowstone from the West entrance and not the North entrance? We arrive in Bozeman early afternoon on the 19th so could make the first drive that day either to West Yellowstone or Gardiner if we entered. Not sure if Gardiner is a good stop it just looks ideal for a short days drive from Bozeman.

Spend the 22nd in Jackson so we can drive to Beaver on the 23rd then onto Las Vegas via Zion on the 24th.

So that would leave the 20th 21st and 22nd to drive from Yellowstone/Gardiner to Jackson and see as much as yellowstone as possible

Thanks Again

I would certainly use the North entrance and not the west coming from Bozeman. At the time of your trip, you won't be able to cross the pass from Tower to Canyon, but all the other roads within the park are schedule to be open by the time of your trip (weather permitting of course.)

Gardiner could be perfectly good place to spend the night - it really is just a tourist town with gas/motels/restaurants right before you cross Yellowstone's iconic arch over the north entrance.

I would do as Dave suggested and then spend 2 nights within the park, and then make your way down to Jackson for the 22nd.

If you are leaving from Jackson, then you could make it all the way to Zion (staying in Springdale or St. George) if you spend all day on the road. If you get a late start or spend some extra time on the morning of the 23rd in Tetons, then maybe you don't get quite as far. That also depends a bit on what time you need to be in Vegas on the 24th.

Bozeman to Gardiner is 78 miles. Bozeman to West Yellowstone is 90 miles.

There are a lot more hotels in West Yellowstone than Gardiner. The ones that are on booking services are around $100 a night on those dates in both towns. However, I can highly recommend the Evergreen Motel in West Yellowstone, and their rates that time of year start at $60.

Jackson to Springdale is over 600 miles, that would be a push. If you spend a night in Jackson, Beaver would be reasonable, that's 500 miles. Cedar City would be 550. Shortest way to I-15 from Jackson would be WY-22/ID-33 over Teton Pass, then ID-31 to US-26 to Idaho Falls.
    Last edited by glc; 11-12-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Jackson to Springdale is only over 600 miles, if you go all the way out to Idaho Falls before heading south (and then just barely over 600). Its about 570 if you use either US-89 or ID-34. Either way, its certainly driveable in full day on the road.

Default Or a little further.

Jackson is doable in a long day on the road, but that's about as far as you would want to travel in a single day. That's why I said "even if you stopped in Jackson" but if you did want to shorten the onward journey, I would look at getting further south that day, perhaps some place like Afton a further 90mins south from Jackson so that you can still make it to Springdale and have a bit of quality time at Zion before hitting the road to Vegas, it's a wonderful park ! That would cut the days journey from 554 miles down to 485 miles and make it a reasonably comfortable day on the road with time for more relaxing rest breaks and lunch along the way.

10. Default

Thanks for the help guys, heres what i have down

May 18th - Arrive Bozeman airport and drive to Gardiner, spend the night at the Yellowstone River Motel

May 19th - Drive into yellowstone for the day and out again to spend the night in West Yellowstone at the Evergreen Motel

May 20th - Drive back into Yellowstone, down to Old Faithful, Yellowstone lake etc then south to stop at the Signal Mountain Lodge or
    Grand Teton Lodge

May 21st - Day in the Teton National Park and drive south to Evanston (ive not looked at hotels here yet, just mainly picked this
    out on the map as it was further south)

May 22nd - Drive south to Cedar City

May 23rd - Day in Bryce/Zion National park and get a hotel around here somewhere

May 24th - Drive to Vegas

Nothing set in stone yet so anything you think i should change?

Thank You