1. Default Driving from Phoenix to Seattle

My husband and I are moving from Phoenix to Seattle in 2 weeks. We will have everything moved there by a moving company. My husband and I are going to drive there in our Toyota Corolla cars. We have never taken such a long road trip and are worried about what could happen during the trip. We want to take route Phoenix, AZ- Las Vegas, NV -Twin Falls, ID - Seattle, WA. It's the shortest route according to Google. The total miles are 1437 and total hours are 24. It might take 4 days for us to get there. My questions are: 1. Is there any part that may have snow or other bad weather conditions? 2. We want to stay at Las Vegas the first night, Wells NV for the second night, La Grande, OR for the third night and arrive Seattle on the fourth day. I don't know if this plan would work well. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Default Be Happy

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The route you've got planned is, indeed, the most efficient way to get from Phoenix to Seattle and it is early enough in the season that snow and/or ice should not be a problem. Even better, you have left yourselves plenty of time for the journey which could actually be made in three days at a steady but not overly taxing pace. In the unlikely event that bad weather is forecast (it's still much too early to rely on current predictions) you should simply wait out the storm in a warm motel room and let the road crews do their jobs. The Interstates, which you'll be on through the northern and mountainous parts of your trip, receive first priority in being kept clear.

The other great advantage to having more than enough time for the drive is that you'll have time for some scenic, historic, or otherwise interesting stops. You might want to consider, among other sites, Hoover Dam, the Nevada Northern Railway Museum in Ely, Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument, and a couple of Oregon Trail museums in Baker City OR.

AZBuck

My software actually recommends I-10 to LA, then I-5. This would avoid a lot of non-Interstate travel. The roads between Las Vegas and Twin Falls are good roads, but only 2 lane through some very sparsely settled desert with very limited cell coverage. I show about 1525 miles.

To avoid the "heart of the beast" in LA, you can take I-15/US-395/CA-58/CA-99/CA-46 to get to I-5. This is doable in 3 days with 10 to 12 hours on the road, overnights in Bakersfield and Weed or Yreka. If you want to make it 4 days, look at Hesperia/Victorville/Adelanto, Stockton, and Grants Pass.

4. Default

Thank you AZBuck! I feel more confident about the trip now.

5. Default

gld, thanks for your suggestion. I do have a concern about the cell coverage. I think I10-58-99-I5 might be a better choice for me. Northern California may have some snow but it should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    My software actually recommends I-10 to LA, then I-5. This would avoid a lot of non-Interstate travel. The roads between Las Vegas and Twin Falls are good roads, but only 2 lane through some very sparsely settled desert with very limited cell coverage. I show about 1525 miles.

To avoid the "heart of the beast" in LA, you can take I-15/US-395/CA-58/CA-99/CA-46 to get to I-5. This is doable in 3 days with 10 to 12 hours on the road, overnights in Bakersfield and Weed or Yreka. If you want to make it 4 days, look at Hesperia/Victorville/Adelanto, Stockton, and Grants Pass.

A 3rd option you could look at would be to head to Vegas and then take I-15 and I-84 via Salt Lake City. Its basically the same distance as going via California, and is another route where you'd have pretty much all freeways and wouldn't have to worry about the relative remoteness of US-93. Travel times should be similar, and with 4 days you've got more than enough time for the trip no matter which way you would prefer to go.

7. Default

Wouldn't Utah have more snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    A 3rd option you could look at would be to head to Vegas and then take I-15 and I-84 via Salt Lake City. Its basically the same distance as going via California, and is another route where you'd have pretty much all freeways and wouldn't have to worry about the relative remoteness of US-93. Travel times should be similar, and with 4 days you've got more than enough time for the trip no matter which way you would prefer to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebee View Post
    Wouldn't Utah have more snow?
    Maybe, maybe not. You won't know until you are getting ready to leave.