Utica, Kentucky, United States

Default Western KY to Grand Canyon to ???

My wife and I just bought a 2012 Four Winds 31A "Bunkhouse" for us and our three kiddos who are 10, 8 & 5 (plus 1 or 2 G'ma's when they can make it!) We are experienced RVr's, mostly NASCAR races and quite a few shorter trips throughout the Mid-West. We did make a couple trips to Florida in our 1991 Pace Arrow Class A 37' (which is for sale...if anyone is interested!) We used to borrow my father's 1984 Airstream Class A 29' before we bought our Pace Arrow in 2008. We are very excited with our new rig! We wanted to downsize and upgrade. I'm proud to say mission accomplished!

I'm looking for any input on a trip out west for next year, probably starting in early June 2013 and taking about two weeks. Our primary goal is to see the Grand Canyon, stopping in Amarillo, TX to see some friends for a day on the way out. After the Grand Canyon, we're thinking about Yellowstone, Dinosaur National Monument (our 5 year old is nuts about dinos!) or something close to Colorado Springs as we have friends there we could visit too.

Any advice on what/where we should focus on, especially with the kiddos and G'ma's in mind, would be greatly appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

With 2 weeks, I think I'd save Yellowstone for another trip. It adds a lot of miles and is a huge parks, so it would make your trip pretty rushed.

There are tons of other parks in the 4 corners region that could easily take up more time than you have. You could go up to Zion and Bryce Canyon, through Capitol Reef towards Arches and Canyonlands. Or you could head up to Monument Valley, Natural Bridges, Mesa Verde, and the up the Million Dollar Highway towards Black Canyon of the Gunnison, or across towards Great Sand Dunes. And Yes, Dinosaur and Rocky Mountain NP in northern Colorado could also be good choices.

Certainly you could do some combinations of those places for this trip, but that's where I would be focusing my time and research.