Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default San Diego / Tijuana advice

Hi myself and y girlfriend are planning a road trip visiting several US destinations. We are in San Deigo for 3 days and thought it may be quite nice to spend an afternoon/day in Tijuana as we will so close to the border. We are slightly concerned about security or what is the best way to do this.

I am from the UK and have a UK Passport and my girlfriend is from Slovakia (but resides in the UK) and has a Slovakia Passport. Both are the new electronic type, we were fine getting into NYC early this year but my concern is that when we try to walk back into the US from Tijuana they may not like my girlfriends passport. We have heard from a few people that if your passport is not UK/Mexico or US then somtimes you are refused entry, and the absolute last thing we want is to be stranded in Mexico.

Please advise,

Is it safe ?

Will my girlfriends Slovakian passport cause a problem ?

Thanks

Welcome!

Is it safe ?
    Tijuana is definitely not safe these days.

Visa Waiver Program

VWP travelers who have been admitted under the Visa Waiver Program and who make a short trip to Canada, Mexico or an adjacent island generally can be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the balance of their original admission period.

Default Agreed

I'll second glc's assessment of the advisability (or lack thereof) of crossing the border to visit Tijuana. The US Overseas Security Advisory Council also agrees. In fact, as someone who lives not too far from the border myself, I would caution against making a quick Mexican border crossing on foot anywhere.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    I would caution against making a quick Mexican border crossing on foot anywhere.AZBuck
    There is one exception that I'm aware of - that is Los Algodones, which is near Yuma and accessible from California. This is a little border town full of doctor's and dentist's offices, opticians, and pharmacies. It's out in the middle of nowhere and as far as I know, it's considered safe. Do not try to drive across with a rental car, park at the border and walk over.

I was just going to add Algodones. Our neighbors drive over to Yuma, park their RV there and then park their toad (car) in a large parking lot on the American side of the border. Our friend advises to go early in the morning and try to be return to the border NLT 2:00 pm, because of the lines to recross. Algodones is fairly safe, and much better than Tijuana or Nogales. The parking lot costs about $3 Amn.

Donna