1. Default Seattle WA to Orlando, FL December 2012

We are traveling from Seattle to Miami leaving the west coast on Nov 23. I need to be in Miami on Dec 30. Can anyone tell me the best route to take to get there avoiding mountain passes with snow this time of year?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default no such possibility

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, but there simply is no route from the west coast to the east coast or the US you can take that will avoid mountains or winter weather.

Even if you went down to southern California, and across via I-10, you'd still have the mountains in Oregon and Northern California, and the chance of snow and ice from Eastern Arizona all the way across Texas. Ice storms in west texas can be brutal, and if there is snow or ice, they often don't have the plows or salt to deal with it as effectively as they do in more northern climates.

The best bet is to take the most direct route, which will get you there the fastest, and thus involve the fewest days on the road where you could see bad weather. In your case, the direct route would be I-90 to Sioux Falls, I-29 down to Kansas City, then I-70/I-57/I-24/I-75/FL Turnpike through St. Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta.

That's still a 6-7 day drive in good conditions, but being that you have more than a month for your trip, you could easily stop and get off the road every time you see a snowflake falling, and still make it to Miami with plenty of time to spare.