Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default 4 weeks summer 13. Austin,Denver,salt lake, las Vegas

Where on earth do I start. I have 4 weeks in summer 13 , 2 adults and 2kids.no flights booked yet so can vary those. Only stipulation is 7 days in Austin visiting a pal. So what shall we do for 3 other weeks. We have ideas of hiring an rv. But we are put off by high pricing,. I fancy a selection of hotels,camping and lodges,
    Would lke to see death alley,Zion,canyon,green river. Would like to take a flight over canyon and take a boat trip down green river. And try and get in as much more as possible. Would like to finish with a few days chilling out somewhere.
    Does anyone have thought they could share. Thanks

Default You already have !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The good news is that you have already made a start ! You are going over options and possibilties to make this your own trip and that's what it's all about. Sure, we can help with suggestions and offer ideas once you have got the basics nailed down, but for now I would keep looking at the map, keep using RTA as a research station by searching the forums and using the planning tools above and keep working on ideas.

You don't say how old the kids are, but it's wise to include them in the planning stages so they have an interest in the trip when you are on the road, it'll be more fun for everyone !

Enjoy the planning !

Hiya. Check out standbycars.com. One of the tabs has US relocations. We got one LA to Texas for $1 a day and they gave us $250 for fuel. They are an Australian company - we had a great experience with them. Have a read of the small print as you need to be able to provide around $1000 hold on a cc for the insurance excess. We had a great time with our 3 kids!!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lifechangingyear View Post
    Hiya. Check out standbycars.com. One of the tabs has US relocations. We got one LA to Texas for $1 a day and they gave us $250 for fuel. They are an Australian company - we had a great experience with them. Have a read of the small print as you need to be able to provide around $1000 hold on a cc for the insurance excess. We had a great time with our 3 kids!!
    Thanks for the tip..

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post

The good news is that you have already made a start ! You are going over options and possibilties to make this your own trip and that's what it's all about. Sure, we can help with suggestions and offer ideas once you have got the basics nailed down, but for now I would keep looking at the map, keep using RTA as a research station by searching the forums and using the planning tools above and keep working on ideas.

You don't say how old the kids are, but it's wise to include them in the planning stages so they have an interest in the trip when you are on the road, it'll be more fun for everyone !

Enjoy the planning !

Hi. Thanks for the welcome, the kids are 9 and 7. Do you think we could achieve all the locations in 4 weeks

Default Doable.

Yes, you should be able to without feeling to rushed. A 3 week trip from Austin to hit those spots would be around 3500/3700 miles, 1250 miles a week or 180 miles a day [or so] on average. Of course you will want to spend some days not on the move and others clocking up some extra miles to suit your goals, but it's doable.

You could consider doing a one way trip but will also have to consider the extra cost of a one way rental. Another option would be to visit your friend and then fly to Denver, SLC or Vegas and start a loop trip from one of those and take in more sights within.

7. Default

Hi gain, rv hiring seems to be pushing us well over budget, have you got any good ideas foralternative accommodation I am not sure I fancy hotels. For example camping or cabins

Default Use a good accommodation guide, to be sure.

Most of the commercial campgrounds at which I have stayed, have cabins. Some quite basic, others full of the latest amenities.

Remember, you have the right, and should check out any cabin (or hotel/motel) before committing to it. Make sure you take your local automobile club membership with you. It will give you access to maps and tourist information, including accommodation guides, from the AAA. The accommodation guide lists what facilities are available at each campground.... commercial and State parks and forests.

You may also like to check out hostels, many of which have family rooms. That will allow you to use their facilities, kitchen, dining room, laundry, etc.

I think you will find there will be a AAA office in Austin.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 10-27-2012 at 06:24 PM.

9. Default Getting there I think

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post

Enjoy the planning !
    Well after some serious thinking, we have decided to fly to Denver and hire the RV for 2 weeks, then do a circular to as far down as we can get and back again?? Las Vegas, although I am unsure if we can manage that or if it's possible to see las Vegas in an RV. We would like to see as many of the good sites as possible, joshua tree, national monument, canyon and whatever else we can fit in. We have decided to remove the salt lake stop. Then we still have to go to Austin for 7 days and have decided to relax in cabin in rocky mountain for a few days before flying home Instead of the beach. I just need to decide Austin or Rv first.
    Are there any pre planned routes that we can access to start planning as I feel we may miss some good places to visit. After we have a start route we can tweak to suit. Thanks. Steve

Default A link that might help make a start.

The good thing about planning out your own route is that you get to go where you want based on your interest and it's what sets the road trip apart from doing pre-arranged tours.
    Having said that you might get a few ideas from our RV trip out of Denver to help get you started. You could get to Vegas and yes there are RV resorts but much will depend on what else you decide to see and do against the time you have available. Perhaps Joshua Tree will be a bit too far but if you make your way into Utah there are other wonderful NP's like Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon and Zion NP.

I tend to do things the other way around to what you are asking, I first find good places of interest to visit and then create the route around them and what is and isn't possible soon becomes apparent.

Once you have layed out the bare basics we can help you put it altogether, but enjoy the planning, it's a great part of the whole road trip experience !