Default american road trip and car purchase

Hi and hello from Adelaide. I am planning to come to the states on the holiday of a life time, late spring to early summer 2014. At this stage our intensions are to land in L.A. purchase a mgb gt and drive to Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and on to Chicago from where we plan to "motor west along route 66" ending up back in LA. We are allowing 6-8 weeks for this. Is this long enough? we want to take in a major drag race or two, some hot rod shows and a NASCAR race if we can. My main concern at this stage is can I buy a mgb gt on arrival and drive 5000 mile approx. across half of America? I want to bring the car back to Adelaide with me. I am speaking with car importers here in Adelaide at the moment. thanks for your time and help in advance.

Melbourne, Australia

Default It's not that straightforward.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

It is not easy for a non-resident to register and insure a vehicle in their own name in the US, especially not in California. Furthermore, for a mere 5000 miles it is probably not cost effective. However, since you want to bring it back to Adealide (why would you want a left hand drive in Adelaide?), you may have more success through an importer. We have had reports on the forum of other Aussies purchasing and exporting vehicles from the US, though I have never seen anyone post the details as to exactly how they went about it.

As a last resort, contact me off forum and I may be able to put you in contact with attorneys who may be able to help with registering etc.

I have to admit I have never seen an MG in the States, though I am sure they are around. The best thing you can do is get on the internet now, and start searching. For what its worth, this thread may help.

Joplin MO

You may be able to find a MGB GT for sale somewhere over here, but I would not trust it for a 5000 mile road trip. Parts will be almost impossible to find and they were notoriously fragile and unreliable cars.

South of England.

Default One members story.

One member done exactly what you want to do and bought the car for export home, which might make things slightly different to the 'normal' buying and selling. I'm not sure how much help it will be as there were unanswered questions and in some ways it might have been a case of 'ignorance is bliss'. That is not a critiscm of the member who posted this thread, they was not aware of any possible hurdles, as problems never arose during the time of purchase or on the road, and they relied solely on the info they recieved from the seller etc.

Anyway, here is the thread that also contains a link to their planning thread.

Winston-Salem, NC

There are many fully restored MGB/GT for sale in the USA and the cars from the Southwest are the most likely to be rust free. Parts are more easy to find now than they were twenty years ago and are less expensive than many other classic cars. I will be driving a MGB/GT cross country in July 3013. My MG is a resto - mod sporting a 3.4 V-6 5 speed, A/C cruise control blue tooth etc. Have a look at the MG Expierence web site. there you'll find all the info you need and thousands of MGers willing to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You may be able to find a MGB GT for sale somewhere over here, but I would not trust it for a 5000 mile road trip. Parts will be almost impossible to find and they were notoriously fragile and unreliable cars.