1. Default New Zealanders travelling from San Francisco to LA

My wife, 13 year old daughter and I are planning on driving from SF to LA in the second week of January. We will be en route back to New Zealand after spending Christmas in the UK. While we have spent a lot of time passing through the West Coast in the past we have not actually done this drive before.

We will have 5 nights - the first of which we will be spending in SF as we will be arriving in that night. The 5th night we will probably spend at a Disney Hotel to enable us to do the Dineyland thing on our final day.

We are confused about where to stay along the way. We have been told we must stay at Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Sanata Barbara and so on, but only have 3 nights unaccounted for.

We are really keen to see the coastal route and the beauty that we have heard so much about. We are wine lovers (well my wife and I are) and are keen to explore that side of things. We are interested in the history of the area. My wife and daughter are exercise freaks so to run, swim or cycle in the area would be fun.

We are keen to explore. We don't want to stay in 5 star hotels when you could be anywhere in the world.

We would be very grateful if anybody had suggestions as where we should overnight, good local hotels and must do things while we are on the road.

Many thanks

3 confused Kiwis!!

Default A few ideas.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Unless you find public baths swimming would be out of the question, the water is cold at the best of times, Brrr !! The 17 mile drive is a very scenic road and there are other cycling trails in the Monterey area to choose from with a choice of bike rental shops. You might like a visit to the Monterey Aquarium.

You could spend night 1 in either Carmel or Monterey and explore both as they are close by. Take your time around Big Sur enjoying the views as you head south where you could plan to stop around Cayacus/Cambria/Morro Bay area for night 2, you could consider a visit to Hearst Castle for a tour.

From there you could stop a night in Santa Barbara or Malibu and stroll [run] along one of the beaches.

To get an idea of lodging options and costs you can browse for deals on RTA to the top right of this page.

And have a good Christmas in the UK, bring some warm clothes ! lol

It looks like you may have the time to visit Solvang on your way to Santa Barbara - and that's the center of the Santa Ynez Valley wine country.

4. Default

Thanks for that Dave. Will check out the lodging deals as you suggest. I have only just joined RTA (as you have noted!!) so am still finding my way around.

Will certainly wrap up warm for the UK - what shoud we expect on the coast in early January?

Thanks again

James

5. Default

Haven't heard of Solvang - though guess it might be where Sideways was based as somebody mentioned that recently. Will definitely check it out if it is the centre of the local wine activities.

Thanks again

James

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It looks like you may have the time to visit Solvang on your way to Santa Barbara - and that's the center of the Santa Ynez Valley wine country.

Default Layered clothing for varied weather.

what shoud we expect on the coast in early January?
    The weather can vary quite a bit on any given day but it's a Mediterranean climate so it's unlikely you will see snow or ice, but not impossible. [On average, there are 2 days a year the temps fall below freezing in Monterey] lol. Average highs are around 60f and lows in the 40f range are common in January, expect low to mid 50f during the day. You have a 50/50 chance of whether it's clear blue skys or rain, but the 'normal' would be cloudy dry days. Keep that warm clothing handy and hope for the best !

7. Default

Ha - understood, thanks Dave. We will expect the worst and hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    The weather can vary quite a bit on any given day but it's a Mediterranean climate so it's unlikely you will see snow or ice, but not impossible. [On average, there are 2 days a year the temps fall below freezing in Monterey] lol. Average highs are around 60f and lows in the 40f range are common in January, expect low to mid 50f during the day. You have a 50/50 chance of whether it's clear blue skys or rain, but the 'normal' would be cloudy dry days. Keep that warm clothing handy and hope for the best !

Default Fingers crossed.

You're welcome.

I'm sure it will feel positively warm after spending December here in England ! ;-)

Dave.