1. Default road trip from Salt Lake City to Portland

Hi, I am leaving next week (Oct 16) to Portland from SLC. I am wondering if we will have any mountain passes to cross. We have already snow in the mountains here in Utah, and I am wondering what to expect on our drive to Portland.

Joplin MO

I wouldn't expect any serious problems. You will be taking I-84 all the way, which will have high priority to be kept clear by the state highway departments. There are some mountainous areas, but no severe high passes.

South of England.

Default A long day. [?]

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

All you can really do is keep an eye on the weather forecasts and road conditions near to the time of departure. As mentioned above, Interstates are a priority to keep clear and open and are built with gradual curves and gradients, with the biggest of vehicles in mind.

Are you planning to do the trip in one day ? It would be a long day on the road and further than we would recommend travelling same day. You will need a good run and clear conditions to have a chance [13-14 hours] but we would recommend an overnight stop. If you can do that you will have a more relaxed journey and if the weather turned nasty, you'd have a little 'wiggle' room to pull off the road while any potential storm blew through.