Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Denver to Los Angeles

Hi

We are a British family travelling in an RV from Denver to Los Angeles in Late July. We are thinking of taking in Grand Canyon, LAs Vegas and Joshua Tree - would also like a couple of days on a beach at the end. Any suggestions of other places to see on route.

thanks

Default Oh My, Yes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The fact is that you will be traveling through one of the most beautiful regions on Earth, and there are any number of scenic and one-of-a-kind locations for you to visit. Start with Rocky Mountain National Park to the northwest of Denver and then cross the Rockies on I-70 passing Colorado National Monument and Arches National Park. Then work your way south through Utah on US-89 visiting Bryce Canyon National Park and Zion National Park before making a broad left hook (still on US-89) to take in the South Rim of the Grand Canyon before continuing on to Las Vegas (if it suits you) and Los Angeles.

That route will require a minimum of three days of driving, although four is far more likely in an RV. To that you'll have to add the time you want to spend in the parks and at other attractions along the way. By all means, the first time you are asked for an entrance fee at a national park or monument, ask instead for an America the Beautiful annual pass which will get you and everyone in your vehicle into every park in the system for a year. Note, however that camping and other fees are still extra.

AZBuck

Default Time ?

It would be a great help if we knew how much time you had for the journey between the two.

4. Default

We have two weeks at the end of July/beginning of August. Sorry, should have put that on the first post.
    Thanks

5. Default

Thanks for the advice - sounds great!

Default Lots of options !

Two weeks is a nice amount of time and Buck has given you some great ideas above to work with. If the parks of Southern Utah interest you I would look at taking Utah scenic Byway 12 between Arches/Canyonlands and Bryce canyon. On route you could also stop at Capitol Reef NP. From Denver you have several other options, form RMNP you could head south from I70 through historic Leadville and take US50 over the continental divide at Monarch pass, through Currecanti Rec area to Black canyon of the Gunnison.

Once you have a rough idea of where you are headed and what appeals we will be able to offer further suggestions and help to 'fine tune' your trip. The one thing I would say is that the National parks are very popular and have a limited number of RV sites, so booking would be essential if you were to stay in the parks, which I cannot recommend highly enough. Try and do this asap after the booking window opens for each park. You will find all the info at nps.gov and once you have chosen your destinations I might be able to help with recommending RV sites as that's how we travel through these parts, like here.

7. Default

Hi,

Your initial posting mentioned beach. In CA many of the beach campgrounds are state parks and I'd recommend advance reservations in summer.

Jessica

To add to what Jessica mentioned, CA state beach campgrounds are also rather high priced ($35-40) per night. So be aware of that!

Donna

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by noblejules View Post
    Hi

We are a British family travelling in an RV from Denver to Los Angeles in Late July. We are thinking of taking in Grand Canyon, LAs Vegas and Joshua Tree - would also like a couple of days on a beach at the end. Any suggestions of other places to see on route.

thanks
    Hi. We I'll be doing a similar but longer journey. Who are you using for the RV ?

10. Default

Thanks for all the great ideas - we have the map out right now!