1. Default Newbie: 4-Day Thanksgiving Trip from Albany?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. My boyfriend and I would like to take a road trip for the 4-day Thanksgiving holiday, starting from Albany, NY. The challenge is that we have no idea where to go!

- We're open to traveling in ANY direction but are restricted to US travel only (no passport).
    - We don't mind driving long distances -- up to 12 hours in a day -- as long as there are some sights along the way.
    - Natural beauty is as of equal importance as activities.
    - We're enjoy outdoors, cultural, artistic and historic activities.
    - We can camp (yes, I know it will be cold in late November!) and will bring gear in case its preferred.

Any suggestions on destinations or routes? All thoughts are welcome!

Thank you!
    - Gina

Tucson, AZ

Default Realistically

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Although you might be willing to drive 12 hour days, the fact is that sitting for that long to get somewhere (and sitting just as long to get back) is not fun and leaves you so worn out that you can't really enjoy wherever it is you've driven to. So realistically, if you want to do something other than just drive and recover from driving, you should limit yourselves to about a 500-600 mile radius. But within that distance of Albany are several destinations and areas that people travel thousands of mile to get to and I'm sure you haven't explored them all. Start with the obvious: New England, the Adirondacks, and the Thousand Islands or Niagara Falls (the American sides of course). Then there are some spots just a bit farther afield, and a bit farther south and warmer, such as Chesapeake Bay and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, the Outer Banks of North Carolina, or the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park. If you're Civil War buffs Gettysburg, Antietem, Bull Run and many other battlefields are all within range. One destination that may not be obvious at first is Cleveland OH with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a world-class Natural History Museum, and Cuyahoga Valley National Park all nearby and the Bass Islands and the NFL Hall of Fame not too far away. So those are just a few of the destinations within a relatively easy day's drive. Also by staying relatively close to home you can drive some scenic back roads to get to your final destination rather than just slogging down the Interstate for hour after hour.

Southern California

The first thing that came to my mind was "Maine". I know that's part of New England, but a specific part of it. Acadia would be about 450 miles from Albany, NY, I think.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default A Couple More

A couple of places that came to mind was Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Maryland and Letchworth State Park in New York.

Finding places to camp may be a bit more challenging as many - but certainly not all - campgrounds will have closed for the season.