1. Default Moving daughter cross country

My daughter is meeting up with her husband who will be returning from the war in Afghanistan in Seattle, WA. We will be driving from Michigan to Seattle mid- November. We were wondering the best route to take. We dont plan on site seeing, which is a shame but we will do it another time. She just wants to get out there to be with her man! Can someone let us know the best route for this time of year? Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from someone soon!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The best route is this case is the shortest route, that get you there quickest/fastest. That would be I-90 pretty much the whole way. You can also use I-94 to go across North Dakota instead of South Dakota, the travel time is virtually the same, so pick the route which looks more interesting to you and/or has better weather on the days of your trip.

I'm also assuming you're starting from southern Michigan (Detroit/Grand Rapids), and not somewhere like the UP where linking up with I-94 would really be the obvious choice.

I-90 is on average one of the better winter travel routes, because it stays at a relatively low elevation for the entire trip across the Rockies. However, you do need to deal with specific conditions for the specific dates of your trip. If there is winter weather along I-90, you can look to use I-80 potentially all the way to near Salt Lake City before cutting north on I-84.

Pretty much any route you take is going to be about 2400 miles, which means a minimum of 4 long days on the road, but be ready to have a 5th available just in case there is bad weather that can't be avoided.

Tucson, AZ

Default Our Pleasure

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

WE are more than happy to help reunite your daughter with her husband, and thank him for his service, your daughter for her sacrifice, and you for your forbearance. Depending on where you're starting from in Michigan, you'll either head around Lake Michigan to the south, through Chicago to Rockford and up to Madison on I-90, and then follow that all the way to Seattle. Or, if you are in the UP or north of say a line between Traverse City and Tawas City, then you should head north around Lake Michigan, take US-2 to Norway MI and then US-8 to the Minneapolis area where you'd get on I-94 and take that west to where it joins I-90 near Billings MT. In any event, you'll need about four days for the drive and even though you don't have time for much sight-seeing, the scenery along the way will be spectacular, and you should make time for a few stops at relaxing locations near the highway. Have a great trip.

4. Default

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. We are only about 1 mile north of the Indiana Line US-12/US-131, White Pigeon, MI so hopping on the 80/90 toll road was a no brainer...just wasn't sure to go the 80 route or take the 90 route, especially during November and road conditions. Your info was great! Thank you!