Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving fr Fargo to Ormond Beach FL next week!

Hi everyone!
    Hubby and I are moving fr the cold north to NE FL next week, we're renting a home by the sea in Ormond Beach FL.
    We're renting a 26ft Penske with a car trailer for our car.

Our garage is packed and ready to be loaded into the truck, hoping it all fits.
    Here's our route.. what do you all think?
    Oct 11 driving Fargo to Sioux Falls SD 1st night hotel
    Oct 12 driving Sioux Falls SD to Springfield MO 2nd night hotel
    Oct 13 driving Springfield MO to Chattanooga TN 3rd night hotel
    Oct 14 driving Chattanooga TN to St Augustine FL 4th night hotel
    Oct 15 driving St Augustine FL to Daytona Penske location to drop off car trailer and follow hubby in truck to our new home to unload.

We'll hv the truck all day Oct 15 and 16, returning by 6p Oct 16th.

doable??

Give us your thoughts.

thanks!
    bonitarose

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You can certainly do the route you've listed, and its paced out pretty well. However, its kind of an odd choice of a route.

Springfield, MO ends up being the biggest oddity, as its kind of out of the way, and will force you to at least spend some of your time on 2 lane roads. It appears that MO-13 and US-60, which I'd presume you'd use are mostly 4 lanes, but they aren't quite freeway quality with some sections that are still 2 lanes and/or take you through some towns. Its not a problem if you have a reason for wanting to go there, but its not the fastest/easiest option. If you wanted to follow the same basic path, taking I-70 and stopping in columbia mo might make more sense.

A slightly shorter route that might be easier would be to take a route where you'd go down through Wisconsin and Illinois.

Your stopping points on the same timeline would instead be:
    Twin Cities (preferably the eastern suburbs, perhaps Hudson WI to avoid traffic in the am)
    Champaign IL (via Rockford and Bloomington)
    Chattanooga (via Paducah)

we are taking that route again aft the holidays after our visit in dec.. visiting family... then driving back our other vehicles... so we wanted to take another route this time....
    i checked into columbia mo..hotel rates are so much higher there for the one night we need.. being a football weekend..
    we need a pet friendly hotel... too..

we hv a dog.

Take I-435 around the east side of KC to US-71. US-71/MO-7/MO-13 from I-435 to Springfield is now 4 lanes all the way, with much of it freeway-quality.

US-60 from Springfield is now 4 lanes all the way from Springfield to Charleston MO, with much of it also freeway-quality.

MODOT has been busy!

The only hassle is going to be US-60 between Charleston and Paducah. From what I understand, the river bridges are very narrow and steep and you would have to go quite a way out of your way to bypass them.

Default ah football

Well a football weekend in a college town is going to make it hard to find a reasonably priced motel room.

Another option to consider would be staying in the Northwest St. Louis Suburbs. I've found motel prices there to be very reasonable in the past. It would be a pretty long, but not impossible day from Sioux Falls. If you could make it to Sioux City instead the first night, that would be a very reasonable option, though. Since you'd be traveling on a weekend, getting through St. Louis in the morning shouldn't be too bad.

The fastest route is actually I-94/I-90/I-39/I-74/I-57/I-24/I-75/I-10/I-95. You could actually do this in 4 very easy days with overnights around Madison, Paducah, and Macon.

That route was already suggested, and she already said she's planning to use that route for the return trip.

Okay - then what about Omaha, STL, Chattanooga, and Jacksonville? That's 4 very close to equal 450 mile days.

I'd stay out in the eastern STL suburbs in IL. There's plenty of hotels around Fairview Heights/O'Fallon.

we actually changed our reservation on the 2nd day and are now staying in Ofallon.
    Columbia MO was crazy .. hotel rooms were super expensive.. re the football weekend.. no thanks.. we'll drive a bit further and stay in ofallon.
    so that's what we are doingnow.
    2nd day sioux falls to ofallon
    3rd day ofallon to chattanooga
    4thday chattanooga to saint augustine
    last day saint augustine to ormond so we arrive in the morning to get our keys and hv the whole day to unpack.

done!

That seems like a very solid plan.

Like I mentioned, if you can leave a bit earlier on that first day and make it to Sioux City, it would make your second day a little easier. However, I'm guessing you're probably finishing up packing on that first day, plus you'll be getting used to how the big truck/trailer handles, which means that first day's drive will be a little slower.

One final tip, especially since you're prebooking your motels, make sure they have an area for truck/trailer parking. Trust me from experience, pulling into a parking lot, discovering they don't have room to pull through, and then having to back out, is not fun!