Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles, Where is a good place in LA to stay overnight in an RV? help!

Hi everyone, This is my first time on here.
    Me and two friends are doing a roadtrip from Las Vegas, TO LA then accross to NewYork.
    We leave Las Vegas on the 27th October this year. Then we head for LA, hopefully Stopping there for 2 nights.
    But where Is a good place to stay overnight in the RV. Ive looked for RV parks and trailer parks, But most of them have bad reports.
    I am hoping that someone knows somewhere good to stay. Need help, We are a little scared of LA

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'll be honest, I can think of few cities which are less RV friendly than Los Angeles. Even New York isn't as bad because you can park the RV and get around via public transportation.

And based on the brief details that you've shared about your trip, I don't really understand why you'd use an RV for your trip to LA. Its going to be much cheaper and easier to start your trip by renting a car for your exploration of LA. When you are ready to leave LA, then pick up the RV and/or return to Vegas and restart your trip with the RV.

There are RV parks in the LA area, but I can't give any specific suggestion. I would say if you still go with the RV in LA plan that you base your decision primarily on location. At least a place close to the things in LA you want to see will reduce the amount of LA sprawl driving you have to do in the RV.

3. Default

Thank you.
    We have gone this way with the Rv as when we finally booked we couldnt pick one up from La and drop it in NewYork as there wasnt one available because They messed us around so long, And when it was finally sorted the one in LA that i originaly booked at the very start wasnt available! So we had to pick up from vegas!

So we are ending up doing more miles than we planed! in a beast that does 6 to the gallon!!

Never mind thats what we have got. We want to do universal studios, so i need to find somewhere near there!

There is at least one down near Disneyland in Garden Grove -- CC Camperland. That's about an hour from Universal Studios, though. There's Dockweiler State Beach near LAX which has some camping sites. It's actually run by LA County, however. I have no real idea of the current reviews for either of these. Have stayed at CC Camperland years ago and it was fine, but that was a long time ago. I don't know about Dockweiler at all, only that friends have said it was "okay".

Bear in mind that parking an RV at Universal Studios or Disney will cost more than a car. Cars are $15 at Disney, RV's are about $20 -- just to park.

Donna

How about this - rent a car in Las Vegas, drive to LA, drive back to LV, turn in the car and pick up the RV?

Default tail wagging the dog?

Your plan still doesn't seem like it makes much sense. I more frequently say this in regards to hotels, but reservations are not a good reason in my book to stick with a flawed plan. Reservations can always be changed, and if you are getting this much run around with your RV rental company, perhaps you'd be better off shopping around again and seeing if a different company can give you a better deal and/or better service.

Failing that, I'd still go back to what I originally recommended, and GLC just reiterated, that even if you have to pick up the RV in Vegas, you should push back the start date of the RV rental by a couple days, do your exploring of Vegas/SoCal in a regular rental car, and then pick up the RV when you are ready to head east.

But if you really have your heart set on taking an RV into LA, it looks like there are 2 RV parks relatively close (under 20 miles) to Universal. There is the Balboa RV Park or Walnut RV Park. I don't have any experience with them, but it looks like they are both what you'd expect from an urban RV park - glorified parking lots with hookups and some amenities like a pool and wi-fi. They're both going to cost you about $60 a night, but you might be close enough where you could try to use public transit to get to Universal. Looks like most of the others would be quite a long ways away, either in the far north hills or down near Disney/Anaheim.

7. Default

Thank you everyone for the advice, But we really have to drive the Rv to LA as we dont have the time or money to hire a car and do the journey twice.
    I will look into the two RV parks and see which is the best.

This is where we don't understand your point. Doing what we are suggesting would not cost you any more time or money.

Renting a car for the first part of the journey would actually save you quite a lot of money, because a renting a car and staying in motels is going to be substantially cheaper than being in the RV.

Time-wise, it should be a wash. Most routes from LA to New York are going to take you through or at least near, Las Vegas anyway, it shouldn't take you hardly any more time for the drive. If anything, its another case where you could actually see a bit of time savings, as you'll be able to see more things in less time with a car, rather than trying to navigate and potentially park an RV in the sprawl of LA.

Again, it's your trip and you can do whatever you want with it. It just seems like you've got a little tunnel vision, and you are telling yourself that you are locked into a plan, when it appears there are actually lots of better options available if you're open to considering them.

You could save even more time (and possibly money) if you fly into LA instead of LV, rent a car, see LA, drive to LV, then pick up the RV. The one way dropoff fee from LA to LV usually isn't that much. I just checked - Fox only charges a $30 drop fee and their daily rental charges are relatively dirt cheap.

If you are getting the impression that we are trying to discourage you from taking a RV to LA, that's exactly what we are doing. It's a pain in the butt!

Default It's not really that bad....

Driving a RV in LA is no big deal. I've done it hundreds of times. I agree that there are few cities as LA for being RV unfriendly, but the thing to remember is that if a city bus can go on a given street, than so can a RV.

One of my favorite RV parks in the LA area is Bonelli Park (in San Dimas).