Stockholm, Sweden, Sweden

Default New York to New Orleans in october.

Me and two friends to do a road trip between New York and New Orleans in October.
    We leave New York on 14 October and we will fly to Las Vegas on October 31 from New orleans.
    What is the best way to experience as much as possible by the Americans? Should I go via the coast or further inland? Two of us have already visited the smokey mountains before, so maybe it's more fun to go via the coast. We would like to see the smaller towns rather than large cities.
    One of us is in a wheelchair, so mountaineering proposal is not needed.

Thanks in advance.

/ the three Swedes.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Bit of Everything

Välkomnande! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With as much time as you have, you can easily see quite a bit of America, seashore and mountains, city and country, north and south. At this point, we can only offer some broad outlines for your trip and note some of the sites that you might want to consider. Then, you and your friends should sit down with some maps of the US and talk about what parts of our suggestions you like and which you don't, and then make your own plan. We can then comment on that and offer further suggestions based on your initial choices.

To start with, and noting your preference for avoiding large cities and wanting to see at least a bit of the coast, I'd suggest that you head down the Delmarva Peninsula from Wilmington DE (originally named Fort Christina in honor of the Swedish Queen, capital if New Sweden, and the home of the Kalmar Nyckel). along the eastern shore of this peninsula are great natural ocean settings including Assateague National Seashore and Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. One of the great benefits of the national lands of the United States is that they make every effort to be wheelchair accessible. Continuing south, you'd have an opportunity to make a unique water crossing using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

Next up it would be time to head inland and enjoy some small Southern towns. The best way to do this is to just pick a (non-Interstate) highway and follow it. In this case, US-58 would serve admirably. As you cross the Appalachians on this route, you'll have the opportunity to explore both the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area and the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park.

From there you could head to Nashville for a little night life, and also to put yourselves in shape to take one of the great scenic roads, the Natchez Trace Parkway down to Jackson MS before finishing up your drive to New Orleans on I-55. As I said, this is just one of multiple itineraries that you might adopt, so have a look at it and then tell us where you'd like to go from there.