Default Vancouver to Phoenix through Las Vegas

Good Morning,

We're travelling south to Phoenix from Victoria BC, and would like to try US 93 across Washington, Oregon and Nevada. How is this route in early November? I'm seeing this as a 3 day drive with perhaps stops in Yakama and Las Vegas. How does this sound, given the time of year? I'd appreciate any other ideas you can give me about this route as well.

Welcome!

I think 3 days is pushing it if that's including taking the ferry off the island and getting across the border. 3 days from Bellingham or Seattle is reasonable. Yakima to Las Vegas is almost 1000 miles and absolutely should not be attempted in one day no matter which route you take.

Take I-5 to I-90 to I-82 to I-84. Spend the first night in Boise. Take I-84 to Twin Falls, than US-93 to Ely, spend the night. Take US-93 to NV-318 back to I-93 to Las Vegas and stay on US-93 to Phoenix.

There are very few services between Twin Falls and Las Vegas. Fill your gas tank in Twin Falls and Ely.

Default Logistics

As glc very correctly pointed out, this is a hard drive of three solid days and even then it has to be properly paced (no thousand mile days) and properly routed (no side trips on slower, longer, scenic roads). In fact, you should be trying to combine a few things. For instance if you start out by taking the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, you can fill out a lot of the paper work needed to clear customs on the boat, and once you leave the dock you're finished. If you go that way, I wouldn't take the 'short' route suggested by most software-based mapping routines which includes another ferry from Bainbridge Island to Seattle, but just drive around the southern end of Puget Sound on WA-3/WA-16 to I-5/WA-18 to I-90.

I'd plan on spending my first night in Pendleton, OR. This would be a solid day including the ferry ride and customs time sink, and would put you in good shape to make the rest of the trip in two comfortable days of about 500-600 miles each with your second overnight in Ely, NV.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-29-2012 at 01:11 PM.

There may be a problem with that, Buck - there are only 2 ferries a day - at 10:30 am and 4 pm, it's a 90 minute ride. Leaving Port Angeles at noon may not get you into Pendleton till 8 pm or so.

Default There are Always Problems, and Opportunities

Inasmuch as this trip starts from an island, a ferry trip is pretty much required, and the only real alternative to the Port Angeles ferry is to take the Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen ferry which goes in the wrong direction and adds nearly a hundred miles and two hours to the driving time. With a 10:30 AM departure from Victoria, and a little bit of luck clearing customs, they should still be able to get to Pendleton by 7:00 or so in the evening without too much trouble.

AZBuck

What I was thinking is the trip would be a lot less rushed if they took the ferry over the day before and spent the night somewhere in the Seattle area.

Thanks you, glc and Buck!

I really don't like the sounds of a day's driving with no service stations at any time of year, but in late fall and winter, this just doesn't sound smart. Sorry about the gaff on day two to Las Vegas....should have taken a better read of my map.

However, lloking back a year ago, glc recommended an interior crossing which interests me now...

"If you want to take the inland route, take I-90 out of Seattle to I-82 to I-84 to Salt Lake City. Take I-15 to UT-20 to US-89 to Flagstaff, then I-17 to Phoenix. Suggested overnights would be around Boise and Beaver or Panguitch."

How is this crossing? Would you recommend this in early November? I certainly know the route from Salt Lake City on down, but it's new country for us from Seattle to Salt Lake.

Any of the Interstate highways should be fine any time of year. They get priority for keeping open because commerce depends on them.

The route I suggested that you brought up may be just a bit faster. However, if you are trying to make it to Phoenix in 2 days from Pendleton, Beaver or Panguitch is pushing it - look at an overnight in Provo.

a day late on this and have never been up that way .I will say that we made a 847 mile run mostly all interstate no weather problems .Went from the Dallas,Tx. area to Farmington ,New Mexico and it still took us roughly 14 hours . There were times that we could run 75-85 MPH.A thousand mile would be a tough run

Doc, we do not recommend more than 600 miles a day on a multi-day trip without at least 3 drivers.