1. Default New York to Florida in January

We are driving our motor home from NY to FL in January (weather permitting).
    Plan on taking I95 (ugh) to avoid the mountains in VA, etc.

Can anyone suggest where we should de-winterize? Would prefer to do that as far north as possible. We do not want to drive more the ~7 hours a day so will take 3 days to get to FL. Planning to de-winterize at our second day's overnight.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 09-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Default The weather will decide.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think the only way you can decide when to De-winterize is at the time you are travelling and dependant on temperatures, keeping wind chill factors in mind. While an RV is being 'lived' in, temps of zero Celsius [32F] or just below I find to be OK. It's when it is left standing for long periods in [sub] zero temps that real problems begin. So if it were I, and temps were hovering around freezing, [32F] I would most likely half fill the tanks with water just prior to hitting the road. If a cold 'bite' came unexpectedly while on the road you could drain them off again, which is easier if you stop at a full hook up facility.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-26-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Clarifying 'Zero' = Celsius.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Where in Florida are you heading?

If you're driving about 7 hours a day, then I'd think Savannah could be a good place to spend your second night, after spending the first night south of Richmond/Petersburg Virginia.

I think you'll have to keep an eye on the exact forecast, however. Even in Savannah, the average overnight low is 38 (F) and its certainly possible to drop below freezing. On the other hand, if there happens to be a warm spell on the east coast, it might even be possible to de-winterize before you leave.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think the only way you can decide when to De-winterize is at the time you are travelling and dependant on temperatures, keeping wind chill factors in mind. While an RV is being 'lived' in, temps of zero Celsius [32F] or just below I find to be OK. It's when it is left standing for long periods in [sub] zero temps that real problems begin. So if it were I, and temps were hovering around freezing, [32F] I would most likely half fill the tanks with water just prior to hitting the road. If a cold 'bite' came unexpectedly while on the road you could drain them off again, which is easier if you stop at a full hook up facility.
    Thank you/

5. Default

Thank you.