Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Road trip from Vegas to grand canyon then ????help

Were going next summer in July for 12 days. Flying to Vegas staying 2 days then driving to the north rim staying over 1 night. Planning on leaving around 3 pm, here's where it gets tricky, we will probably only want to drive for about 4 or 5 hours then stop for the night, we will be heading for either Yosemite or San Diego . Is there anyplace worth stopping to see along the way and where is a good place to spend the night 4 or 5 hours into our trip. We have 6 or 7 days from leaving the Grand Canyon until we need to be back in Vegas . We were thinking about redwood forest, Yosemite, and San Diego. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of our trip and where to stay.

Default What are your trip priorities?

I'm not sure I understand your plan...
    Planning on leaving around 3 pm, here's where it gets tricky, we will probably only want to drive for about 4 or 5 hours then stop for the night, we will be heading for either Yosemite or San Diego .
    The departure point... is this the North Rim or Las Vegas?

If it's the north rim of the Grand Canyon, there are lots of national parks nearby. Here's a sample route from Las Vegas.... Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!

A week affords you the chance to visit 5-6 national parks, but if you're only planning to drive a maximum of 5-6 hours per day, getting to the coast and back will be tricky. What is a higher priority for you? San Diego or Redwood trees?

Mark

Default Redwoods v Sequoias.

If you are referring to the coastal Redwoods as opposed to the Sequoia trees found around the Sierra Nevada, you will need to drive for 2 full days to get from the North rim to Redwood NP, and as Mark mentioned you will have to prioritise your time and San Diego would be a bit too far.

If it's the coastal Redwoods you are wanting to see then you could head through Reno, stopping perhaps in St George or Mesquite 5-6 hours from the North rim [Or you could head north on I15 to Cedar City] and then onto Reno. Next up would be the Redwoods and then head down to San Fran before heading back east through Yosemite and across Death valley to Vegas. That would be quite a full trip with 7 days.

Now if you mean the Sequoias, you could spend some time at Zion NP after the North rim and then head to Yosemite, down to Sequoia NP and back to Vegas, possibly via Death Valley. You could include heading across to SF from Yosemite and down the coast to Cambria and back to Vegas, but I really think San Diego is still too much.

If you take the route described by Mark in his article, it will take you about 5 hours to get from LV to the north rim. This is the shortest/fastest route.

If you want to go to San Diego from there, 4 to 5 hours would get you to at least Flagstaff but not to Phoenix. You might want to spend the night in Sedona. Sedona to San Diego is about 8 hours via I-17/Loop-101/I-10/AZ-85/I-8.

If you wanted to go to Yosemite, there is no lodging anywhere near the 4 to 5 hour point along the direct route across Nevada, so you would be looking at spending another night in Las Vegas. You could leave a bit later (or get off the road early) and spend the night in Mesquite. From there to Yosemite is about 8 hours via I-15/NV-168/US-93/NV-375 (The ET Highway)/US-6/CA-120. Note that this is very desolate desert with few services and very little cell phone coverage. If you return to LV, you could go to Yosemite via Death Valley.

Default From the rim ?

If you wanted to go to Yosemite, there is no lodging anywhere near the 4 to 5 hour point along the direct route across Nevada,
    What's your trip planner stating that the journey from the actual North rim to Mesquite is George ? I would have though that it was about 4 hours by the time you have driven AZ67 and exited the park.

I mentioned Zion NP previously and depending on what you decide, you could spend a couple of hours [or so] in Zion canyon [wonderful place] and spend the night in the lovely little town of Springdale.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-24-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Added comment.

6. Default Road tip from Vegas to grand canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your plan... The departure point... is this the North Rim or Las Vegas?

If it's the north rim of the Grand Canyon, there are lots of national parks nearby. Here's a sample route from Las Vegas.... Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!

A week affords you the chance to visit 5-6 national parks, but if you're only planning to drive a maximum of 5-6 hours per day, getting to the coast and back will be tricky. What is a higher priority for you? San Diego or Redwood trees?

Mark
    We will be starting out in Vegas , driving then to the north rim, we are staying there for one night , then plan on leaving around 3pm then we thought we would go to Yosemite and then possibly to San Diego. We will want to spend the night somewhere along the way after leaving the north rim, maybe after driving 4 or so hours. Where is a good place to stay on our way to Yosemite? This is our first trip out west. We are traveling with kids. We have 11 days. Were flying into Vegas staying there 2 nights then driving to the north rim for 1 night. Then we have from the 4th until the 10th to sightsee. We were planning on going back to Vegas on the 10th , staying until the 12th, then flying home.I haven't done enough research yet to see just how far apart everything is. I think the redwood forest might be a bit too far. We want to see the awesome stuff but don't want to spend our entire vacation in the car, we also want to stop at te Hoover dam, where can we ft that in? Thanks for your help

7. Default

Zion park and Sedona sound great. Maybe a night there if its on the way from north rim to Yosemite. San Diego isn't a must, just want to go to nice beach for a night too. Any suggestions. We have 11 days , first two are in Vegas then 1 in north rim from fourth through tenth it's sightseeing, then back to Vegas for the last two nights before flying home. Any sightseeing and beach ideas? Thanks a lot

Sedona is not on the way to Yosemite from the north rim - it's between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

If you want a beach, San Diego is as good as anyplace.

If you want to go to Yosemite after the north rim, whether you include Zion or not, you will essentially be backtracking almost all the way to Las Vegas.

What you could do is go to San Diego via Sedona, then head north to Yosemite via the coast up to Monterey, then back to LV via Death Valley.

San Diego is quite a way out of your way considering you only have 7 days on the road, but it's doable and again, it's about your priorities and how much time you want to spend where. For example you could easily spend 2 nights in Yosemite and only scratch the surface.

If you visited Zion and stayed in Springdale you could then head north towards Cedar City on I15 and take UT56/NV319/US93/NV318/NV375/US6/CA120 to Yosemite NP. That would be a long day on the road and you might want to consider stopping in Lee Vining and perhaps see Mono Lake before heading into Yosemite on the spectacular Tioga Pass. You could stay out the other side of the park the following night giving you the best part of the day there. You would then have the choice of heading to the coast which could be the very scenic section around Big Sur, or down to San Diego, or alternatively carry on down the west side of the mountains to see the big trees in Sequioa NP. Heading back to Vegas from San Diego you could go through Joshua Tree NP and/or the Mojave preserve, or from further up the coast or from Sequoia, across Death valley.

If you wanted to go to Sedona you would be better off to visit the GC South rim and then go down through Sedona to San Diego, up to Yosemite and back across the Tioga Pass and through Death valley to Vegas.

Once you have weighed up all your options and decided on your route we should be able to help to 'fine tune' it with you. Enjoy the planning !

10. Default

I have now changed plan from north rim to south rim. Then from 1 night in south rim to I night in Sedona. So we will have first 2 nights in Vegas, then travel to South rim for 1 night then travel to Sedona for 1 night. What next? We then have 6 nights free before heading back to Vegas. We want to go to a nice beach , Yosemite, and the rest is up for suggestions, we can skip San Diego if its too much, so where should we head to after Sedona, we will probably want to drive for 5 or so hours . Is there a great place to spend night at that point and which is the best way to go to get the most out of our 6 nights and see the most.