1. Default First Trip - Visiting Las Vegas Parks San Francisco

Long standing wish to take my wife and 2 boys to see the Parks around Las Vegas and visit old friends who moved to San Franciso. Plan was to go SF to Las Vegas but want to see Grand Canyon and Zion so wondering if better to fly to Phoenix and then go to GC As never been to this area before any ideas would be great as unsure of how to split our time. We have 16 days and are thinking of 4-5 days then 2 -3 in LV with 2-3 days in Yosemite before SF? Any recommendations to stay would also be very welcome, Thank You

Tucson, AZ

Default The Thing About Loops Is...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...well actually there are several things about loop RoadTips. Especially when they are of the fly/drive variety, they can save you quite a bit of money in both plane fares and car rentals because they are so simple. You just buy a standard round-trip plane ticket and get a 'local' car rental. Then there's the fact that you can fly into any city on the loop and start/end the trip there, letting you pick the one with the cheapest airfare/car rental total. They also, in my opinion, give you a better feel for an area b seeing more of it than a simple linear trip.

All that said, a loop trip from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon, around to Zion, down to Las Vegas and then through Death Valley and Yosemite back to San Francisco would require about four days of driving. Since you indicate that you have sixteen days, that gives you a solid ten days of time to actually spend at your destinations, as well as a spare day for seeing other sights along the way and for possible weather contingencies. That should work out very well.

With as much time as you have, I'd make the following recommendations for additional sites to consider visiting. Between San Francisco and the Grand Canyon you might want to add a bit of the California coast by first driving down to Monterey/Carmel and then driving the Pacific Coast Highway to Cambria. From there CA-46 inland and CA-99 down to Bakersfield will get you to CA-58 to I-40 at Barstow for the drive to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. After leaving the Canyon and heading north on US-89, take a look at including Bryce Canyon and Cedar Breaks National Monument in your places to visit in southern Utah. Finally, after leaving Las Vegas it would be a relatively easy matter to drive through Death Valley and then north on US-395 before crossing the Tioga Pass (CA-120) into Yosemite before returning to San Francisco. You'll note that I didn't include Phoenix in this loop, but if you find an amazing fare into there, you could also drive this loop with that as your begin/end point as well.

3. Default

Was thinking more of flying in to Phoenix and ending in SF rather than a Loop to maximise time to visit sites, parks, etc. However. you have given me a few ideas! Thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

I think it was understood that your original plan was to do a Phoenix to SF trip one way.

Buck was pointing out that you have plenty of time to do a loop, which would actually let you see more different places, and likely save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in the process.