1. Default Chicago to Orange County, CA

We are planning to drive from Chicago to Orange County, CA in early October. We will take the I80 to I70 to I15 route. We would like to do this in 4 days. Question 1: Advice regarding the 3 nightly stopping points on route. Question 2: How feasable to take an extra day and see the Grand Canyon. Question 3: If not the Grand Canyon, any other places recommended to visit. Don't really want to spend more than 5 days on this trip. Any other suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joplin MO

You could make it in 3 days via 80/76/70/15. This would be about 640 miles a day - 12 hours including fuel, food, and bathroom stops. Just a bit more than we would recommend. With that in mind, the Grand Canyon would certainly be possible in 5 days.

Day 1: Chicago - Grand Island NE via I-80.

Day 2 - Grand Island - Grand Junction CO via I-80/I-76/I-70.

Day 3 - Grand Junction - Grand Canyon via:
    I-70 to Utah Exit 212, Bus-6 to UT-128 through Castle Valley to US-191.
    US-191 through Moab, Monticello, and Blanding to US-163.
    US-163 through Monument Valley (you will see the Forrest Gump view) to Kayenta.
    US-160 to US-89 to AZ-64 into the park (east entrance, south rim).
    On the way in, there are a couple of hotels in Tuba City and there are rooms at the Cameron Trading Post. This is the one night I would recommend you make a reservation. Try the lodges in the park first, your next best choice would be the Cameron Trading Post, then there are several hotels in Tusayan (expensive) just outside the south entrance.

Day 4 - See the park! Leave sometime in the afternoon out the south entrance and take AZ-64 to I-40. Depending on what time you get out, spend the night in Tusayan, Williams, or Kingman. Try to make it to Kingman so you don't have too long a drive on day 5.

Day 5 - I-40 to I-15 into the LA basin.

3. Default

Thank you. That is the information that I needed. I will take that day at the Grand Canyon. A day off of long distance driving will be good.