Default Australia to San Francisco then on the road to Fort Collins (Col)

Hi everyone :)

New to this forum and keen to seek advice for the Road Trip of a Lifetime (Mark 2) My wife and I would like suggestions for a road trip from SF to Fort Collins in Colorado. The only must do is Vegas for my wife's birthday. We have done the Route 66 thing Road Trip Mark 1and the drive from SF to LA along the coast. There are so many amazing thigs to see in the US. Can anyone please suggest the best and most scenic route. We have two weeks to do the drive.
    We plan to be there in October 2013 Mayan's permitting!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If you spend a little time looking around this forum, you will see one common theme: there is no single best or most scenic route. There are always lots of options, and that's certainly the case here. There are lots of things you'll have to pick from, and that will determine the best route for you.

From SF to Vegas, a popular route option would be to go through Yosemite, across Tioga Pass, through Death Valley and onto Vegas. However, you could also consider stops at Sequoia NP or Lake Tahoe.

From Vegas to Denver you have even more options.
    You could go pretty much right along I-15 and I-70, visiting places like Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, and Rocky Mountain NP.
    You could also head toward the Grand Canyon, up past Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, the Million Dollar Highway.
    You could also do a combination of those places.
    You could even look at going up to the Tetons and Yellowstone, although note that by October, Yellowstone is moving into Winter mode, and many of the roads and services are starting to close down for the season.

South of England.

Default One way.

I agree with Michael that there is no single 'best' route and in these parts you have no shortage of options to choose from. San Fran to Las Vegas via Yosemite and Death valley including the drive across Tioga Pass would certainly be my first choice. The rest will partly depend on when during your trip is your wifes birthday and how long you have to spare after Vegas, but I would certainly allow for at least 2 overnight stops from SF to LV.

Again, the Southern Utah NP's of Zion, Bryce canyon and Arches would be up there at the top of my list, linking Bryce and Arches with a journey along Utah scenic Byway 12, and if you didn't visit Grand canyon on your last adventure, it would certainly be worth including.

From Moab [Arches/Canyonlands] you could head south to Mesa Verde NP and travel the 'Million dollar Highway [US550] between Durango and Montrose through the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray, both being wonderful ! From Montrose you could head east on US50 past Black canyon of the Gunnison, through Currecanti National Recreation area and over the continental divide at Monarch pass to Poncha Springs. Heading north from there to I70 you could stop by historic Leadville that happens to be the highest incorporated town in the USA. You could also take US6 from Dillon Res and cross the continental divide once more on the spectacular Loveland Pass.

If the Trail Ridge road is open in Rocky mountain NP, I would then head across the park on this highest continious paved road in America by way of Grand Lake to Estes Park, which is close to the Bear Lake area of RMNP, leaving you a short run to Fort Collins.

If Trail Ridge Road was closed you could still head to Estes Park by taking exit 243 to Central City and CO119/72/7 through Nederland on the 'Peak to Peak Highway.'

There are many other options as previously mentioned and you could tweak this in many different ways, but it's close to what I would consider 'best' for me !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-21-2012 at 05:56 AM.