Default Car rentals and Insurance about road trip

I am going to do a road trip in the states in Oct. As I am from HK, I am not familiar with the car rental system in the states, and i hope someone here can kindly give me some advices.

1. I have searched several web site for car rental but does anyone know any other good web site about car rental?

2. i would like to ask about the insurance, i will drive for around two weeks across the country, and what kind of insurance I should buy?
    And should I buy the insurance when i reserve the car on the website, or should I buy the insurance when I pick up the car in USA?

I hope someone can help me as this is my ever first road trip, I have a lot to learn and experience. Thanks
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-16-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: New members may not link to outside commercial websites

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Rental Basics

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are several comparison shopping sites on the web that will show you the rental rates charged by various companies at a given location on a given date. We, of course, are a bit partial to our own. Some things to keep in mind: Prices will vary even up until you make the trip and there is usually no penalty for canceling a reservation up until 24 hours prior to arrival. So make the best reservation you can now, but continue to keep looking for a better deal, one will almost certainly come up. You can also almost always get a better deal at rental locations that are not at the airport where high fees and taxes are imposed, so be sure to check where else the major rental firms have locations near your arrival point. Many, but not all, of these will be at car dealerships. You can easily save far more than the cost of the cab ride to get to these off-site rental locations and many will allow you to drop the car off at the airport for no additional fee.

There are certain other things you need to be aware of. If you are under 25 years of age, you will almost certainly be hit with an 'underage' driver fee of $25/day. If you are under 21, you may not be able to rent a car at all. Also, if you plan to return the car someplace other than where you rented it from, expect to pay a one-way drop off fee of around $200. As far as insurance goes, the first thing you need to do is to find out what insurance you already have and are paying for. Ask your private car insurance company if your coverage transfers to rentals. Ask your credit card company what coverage they provide when you charge the rental to that card. If you belong to a motorists' assistance club (such as AA), ask them what coverage they provide. If all else fails, see if your personal insurance provider will sell you a short term renters policy. Only as a last resort should you buy insurance from the rental car agency - It will be extremely expensive.

One final thing you should do is to shop around to see if there are any local consolidators who buy up volumes of unrented cars from the American fleets at discount prices and pass those savings on to you. We have had people report that by going through such home-grown companies (at least in Europe) they have been able to avoid paying underage driver and one-way drop off fees.