Default NYC to SF in 9/10 days

I am moving from NYC to SF, and considering to do a road trip with my stuff instead of flying. Taking some time off I would have around 9/10 days to get there, is this enough?

The current plan is something like this:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...mra=ls&t=m&z=6

as I want to include Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone if possible. Any other must see stops on the road?

Also are there any tips about renting cars for one way coast-to-coast trips?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First of all, yes, 9-10 days will be enough for this trip, just know that you'll need a lot more overnight stops that you've currently got marked on your map. The trip you've laid out would require about 7 full days of driving. 500-600 miles is a full day of driving (8-10 hours)

When will you be making this trip? The biggest potential problem with your plan is with Yellowstone. Most roads inside the park start to close up for the winter in October, and you listed this as a fall/winter trip.

The only real tip for renting a car one way is to shop around - including using the links on this site. It will likely be expensive, as you can expect to pay several hundred dollars just for a one way drop fee on a cross country trip.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

You have plenty of time to make this trip within your allocation. A coast-to-coast trip is generally five days of consistent driving at 500-600 miles per day. With your route and time, you'd have to average 350 miles per day for 10 days. This is slightly less than 7 hours per day, giving you 17 hours for exploration and sleep.

One-way rental fees tend to be higher, and there doesn't seem to be any way around that.

I've not entered Yellowstone via the North Entrance, but I have from both the East and West Entrances. I remember the drive through Wyoming as being quite spectacular. (Going this way also appears to shave 100 miles off of your trip.) My only regret is that I did not stop at Devil's Tower - a situation that I aim to remedy at some point in the future.

Thanks both of you!

I plan to go early October, I thought of that as fall.

Is there any other place that is a must see on a trip like this? What is the most common route to take?

Hertz seems to be the best bet for the car, it is only $700 for a week with a large car including coast to coast from what I can see. Still looking for a cheap trailer.

You won't be able to pull a trailer with a rental car. If that's what you are thinking, then you really need to be looking at a UHaul or a similar moving truck company.

We don't really believe in generic "must sees" here, as there are millions of things that you might be interested in - but might not be interesting to someone else.

If I were you, and Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone are priorities, then I probably would not go through St. Louis, and instead go a more direct route, so you can have more time in those areas. But you might have a good reason for wanting to through St. Louis and that's ok too.