1. Default DE to IL Sep 21 to Sep 26 take I-76 or I-80 ?

Going from Bear, DE to Itasca, IL for wedding next weekend with family for first time. Not planning to stop overnight and drive straight up. Which is a better option in users opinion ? Also hopefully avoid cops. Will be starting in Bear, DE off I-95.

I-76 from PA all the way to OH and beyond. Tolls kill on this route and road is not straight and not very inclined to take this route.

I-76 till Harrisburg and take PA 219 and US 322 to I-99 to I-80. One big question I have here is PA 219 and US 322 expressway all the way to I-99 from Harrisburg ? Finally take I-80.

I-476 to I-80 seems a good bet, but adds some distance. This is a full expressway all the way.

My first post and thanks to all.

Welcome!

What you are proposing is a bad idea. This is an 800 mile drive and should not be attempted straight through. You will all be worn out by the time you get there - and then I assume you will do the same thing all over again to go back home?

3. Default

Hi glc,

That is indeed a very good point for driving around 750 miles at a stretch. So we've decided to take an overnight stop in Toledo while going to Chicago.

While coming back, it'll be a stretch at once due to the reason of getting back to work. I am hoping it won't be a stressful drive. Around 14 hours with breaks is what I am assuming while coming back.

If you are willing to make an overnight stop on the way out, Toledo is a very good choice. However, I'd still take the fastest route, which would be I-95 toward Baltimore, I-695 around the north side to I-70 to the PA Turnpike, OH Turnpike, and IN Toll Road, then when you get near Chicago, take exit 21 (staying on I-80) into IL, then I-355 and I-290 to Itasca.

If you have an EZ-Pass, it will work all the way across including in IL.

If you want to avoid the majority of tolls, you will have to add 75 miles to the trip. From I-70, take I-68 to Morgantown WV, then I-79 back to I-70 and take that to Indy. Take I-65 toward Chicago to pick up I-80. A good overnight taking this route would be Richmond IN. This would save you $37.40 cash or $26.31 with EZ-Pass. Balance this off with the extra fuel you will use for the 75 additional miles. From a time standpoint, it's only 1.5 hours extra.

I'd allow 16 hours for the return trip.

Going via Harrisburg, no matter what you take to get there or what you take from there, will not save you any time over either of my suggested routes. The most direct way to Harrisburg from where you are is US-202, which is not a full expressway. US-322 from Harrisburg to State College is generally a good road, expressway most of the way, but it's not a time-saver.

5. Default

Thank you glc for your reply. I'd like to save on tolls, but I don't think that tolls on OH and IN are as outrageous compared to PA Turnpike. I do have EZ Pass which is a life saver.

What I could do is pick up I-95 to 476 to 76 to Harrisburg. It looks that US 322 is indeed a limited access road to I-80. I still think 476 to 80 might be the most prudent either way.

I-70 from Baltimore sounds an exciting option but it hits Indy, Dayton, Columbus and Baltimore. Maybe on the way back it is better option.

The EZ-Pass toll on the PA Turnpike from Breezewood to the end is only $10.61. I wouldn't even think about taking 476 and/or 322. 322 is NOT limited access all the way, there are a few stretches that are not. The toll on 476 from Mid-County to I-80 is $5.30. The toll on the mainline from Valley Forge to Harrisburg East is $5.97. I-95 in DE and MD is toll, but it's only $4 in DE and $6 northbound only in MD. Over the whole trip, going via Baltimore will only cost you $25 more for the round trip and will save you both time and mileage.

Toll in Ohio is $11.25 and in Indiana is $4.45. IL will cost you $3.40 in IL.

7. Default

Thank you. Now thinking about it, it perfectly makes sense to take I-95 to Baltimore to I-695 to I-70W to I-76W and beyond. Also the toll for $4 between DE and MD is easy to avoid by 5 min detour. This way I can avoid local route to Harrisburg which is PITA from I-95 Philadelphia region standpoint.

I am not going to venture I-70 to I-68 to I-79 to I-376 due to Pittsburgh traffic and plus it's tad longer.

You wouldn't need to go anywhere near Pittsburgh if you take I-70 to Indy. Getting around Columbus and Indy is no big deal at all and Dayton is a complete non-issue. I'd do that on the way out being that you have 2 days to play with, the extra hour to hour and a half won't impact you. Going home, take the fastest, you have a LONG haul.

Take the south bypass around Columbus and the northeast bypass around Indy.