Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Default Las Vegas - New Orleans March/April 2014

I'm planning a trip to the US in March/April 2014 and I'm hoping for some advice on my plan, thus far. We will be flying into Los Angeles then flying onto Las Vegas which is where I hope to start the road-tripping. For the following itinerary, how many days would you allow (currently, I am estimating 10-15 days with 2 of us driving) and are there any MUST stop places to add to the list. I have a strong interest in food, vintage and the kitsch.

Las Vegas, NV
    Hoover Dam, NV
    Williams, AZ
    Grand Canyon (South Rim)
    Phoenix, AZ
    Albuquerque, NM
    Roswell, NM
    Tucumcari, NM
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Dallas, TX
    Austin, TX
    San Antonio, TX
    Houston, TX
    New Orleans, LA

Thanks and I look forward to your advice!

South of England.

Default Lot's of options.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The route you have laid out would be possible to drive in 5 days, so 10-15 days [a big difference] will give you time to explore along the way. There could be thousands of possible 'must see' places but that will depend on your interests, which seem to be biased towards the City. Near the Grand canyon are Sunset Crater and Monument valley, on route to Phoenix you could stop in Red rock country around Sedona and Oak creek canyon, the Petrified forest on the way to Albu and near to Roswell are Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands NM. Personally I would have looped further North for the National parks like Zion and Bryce in Southern Utah, Monument valley and maybe into Colorado for Mesa Verde NP before dropping down to Albu and/or Santa Fe, so as you can see, there are no 'one size fits all, must do' places, and you need to base your trip on your interests.

I can't help much through Texas etc but you will find a lot of info by searching the forums and using the planning pages above, such as the Map centre where you can plot routes and find attractions. Once you have new questions just ask !

Enjoy the planning !

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Great! Good to know I'm on track with my estimations and thanks for the quick replies. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the time draws nearer!

Hi, I did part of this trip a couple of years ago and really liked Boulder (nearest town to the Hoover Dam, lovely microbrewery with great food) and if you're heading south from the canyon Flagstaff is gorgeous - really quaint little artsy town, would make a nice stop for lunch on the way to Phoenix.