Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Driving in dec 2013 - ny-boston-phila-wash

Good day, everyone!

What are the chances of hitting snow when driving from ny to boston, phila and washington in the second week of dec on a 16 day trip (5 days in ny)?
    My biggest concern is snow when driving from one city to the other (in cities i intend to use public transportation).

Are there other alternatives than driving?

Your answers will be apreciated.

Ricik (and family - wife and one child).

Default Train or Bus.

Hi Ricik, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Sure there are other ways to get between all those major cities. There are buses and the train. I'd take the train. Whichever you choose, you will probably find that it is cheaper to get a ticket from Boston to DC, with stops in NY and Philadelphia.

Choosing to use public transport in each of these places is a wise plan. On the whole it is pretty good, and parking can be difficult and is mostly very expensive.

Lifey

The chances of encountering snow at that time of year are decent. This area generally sees some form of snowfall from late November through March. Over the last several years, however, I'd say my snowfall expectations here in Massachusetts have changed to late October to late May. If I were making such a trip, I'd probably take the train if I were concerned about weather. The I-95 corridor can be a nightmare even in picture-perfect weather, depending on what time of day you're traveling.

If all you want to do is see and enjoy those cities, I would not drive. Amtrak is the way to go. It takes a really significant storm to delay a train - unlike the hassles when you take a bus, plane, or try to drive.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    If all you want to do is see and enjoy those cities, I would not drive. Amtrak is the way to go. It takes a really significant storm to delay a train - unlike the hassles when you take a bus, plane, or try to drive.
    GLC-Mass-Life

Thank you all the answers.

Do any of you know by any chance if the bullet train has luggage size - restriction?

Would the trip from NY to Boston be the worst in chances of hitting snow or going South (Washington) would be just as risky?

I am considering the possibilty of excluding Boston in this trip.

Amtrak baggage policy

I don't see any reason to exclude any city for that reason if you are taking the train! Even in good weather, the whole Boston-DC corridor is a congested drive.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Amtrak baggage policy

I don't see any reason to exclude any city for that reason if you are taking the train! Even in good weather, the whole Boston-DC corridor is a congested drive.

One final question: are you aware of any difference between Amtrak options : Northeast Regional and Carolinian ? Are they similar?

Basically their are two different options for Amtrak in the Northeast - Acela and everything else.

Acela is the high speed (relatively) express service.

All the others are regular trains, the only differences is that some routes may have slightly different stops in between the big cities and where they go beyond DC. For example, the Carolinian continues to North Carolina, where the Northeast Regional heads to Virginia Beach, and the Silver Service goes all the way to Florida.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Basically their are two different options for Amtrak in the Northeast - Acela and everything else.

Acela is the high speed (relatively) express service.

All the others are regular trains, the only differences is that some routes may have slightly different stops in between the big cities and where they go beyond DC. For example, the Carolinian continues to North Carolina, where the Northeast Regional heads to Virginia Beach, and the Silver Service goes all the way to Florida.

Thanks a lot. You have really helped out.

10. Default

GLC

Thanks for the comments os baggage restrcitions. I guess I ll have to change my plans once the restrictions are too tigh:you can only carry two small suitcases each and you cannot check baggage in any of those routes.
    Ill either have to take my chances on not hitting snow/slippery roads while driving or take this trip in July.