1. Default Vancouver and Pacific Coast Trip

Roadtripping with my boyfriend (we are both from Scotland but im working in Vancouver atm) at the end of October when he visits. We originally planned on heading north to Whistler but figured we had 10 days so there wasnt much up that way. Wev now decided on heading south down the coastal route through Oregon etc. We arent planning any accomodation, just taking it in our stride so theres no pressure. Can you please advise us on good towns, places to visit/see etc on this route. We plan on doing 2 nights in Vancouver at the end of our trip so 7/8days really.

Many thanks!
    Cheryl and Adam

Moderator Note: We prefer to give each person's trip their own thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-08-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Moved Post

Tucson, AZ

Default A Scenic and Relaxed Possibility

Ceud měle fŕilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I've recently done some traveling up in that area, so here are a few recommendations. You indicated that your first thoughts were to head for Whistler, so I'm thinking that you want a more 'outdoorsy' kind of experience rather than spending a lot of time in cities. So I'd probably start by taking the first available (in terms of northernmost) ferry across Puget Sound to avoid as much as possible of the Seattle/Tacoma metropolitan area. It looks like that would be the one from Keystone Split over to Port Townsend. That will set you up for a tour of Olympic National Park, Forks, and the Washington Pacific coast. The Oregon coast is also worth exploring, particularly a couple of historic sites such as Lewis and Clark National Historical Park and the oft-photographed sea stacks off Cannon Beach. But from there, you should consider heading back inland, exploring the many formal gardens of Portland (known as the Rose City) and then driving up the Historic Columbia River Highway and hiking into some of the numerous easily accessible waterfalls along it. You could then either head north on US-97 along the eastern slopes of the Cascades, re-entering Canada at Osoyoos and taking the Crowsnest Highway back to Vancouver.