Belmar, New Jersey, United States

Default New Jersey to San Diego on September 27th!! Help me out!

Hi Everyone!

I'm so excited I found this website! I'm making a move back to San Diego from NJ and want to make this road trip as memorable as I can! I'm looking for any ideas about what sites to see, mountains to hike, beers to drink, events to attend along my route towards the west coast. My three definite stops are Chicago, Denver, and Las Vegas to see some great friends. Time is no real issue, I allowed myself a month to travel and I have no problem with veering off course, I just want to make the most of it.

I look forward to everyone's feedback!

South of England.

Default So many options !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With a cross country trip spread over a period of a month [that could be driven in 6 days] you could go just about anywhere with thousands of possibilities to choose from. The problem is there are just too many for us to give really meaningful suggestions right now, but I can offer some food for thought between Denver and San Diego. There are many wonderful National parks such as Rocky mountain NP, Black canyon of the Gunnison and Mesa Verde in Colorado, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon and Zion in Southern Utah, the Grand canyon in AZ and Death valley and Joshua Tree in CA, all worthy of a visit. South of Denver you will find 'Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds and the Manitou Cliff dwellings near Colorado & Manitou Springs.

A few others would include the historic town of Leadville, Glenwood Spirings, Currecanti Recreation area, Colorado National monument and the mountain towns of Ouray and Silverton on the spectacular 'Million dollar Highway' [US550] Into Utah and you will find 'Scenic By-way 12 through Escalante to Bryce canyon and into Arizona, Lake Powell, Antelope canyon and Monument valley.

As you can see, you would struggle to get around this part of your trip in a month, but you can have a spectacular journey !! What I suggest you do is get a large map of the USA and start to research your options and mark them on the map, work on a rough timeline, for example how long you plan to stay with friends, and then start peacing it together. Once you have got this far we will then be able to make meaningful suggestions and help to 'fine tune' your plans.

Enjoy the planning, it's a big part of the adventure !