1. Default Bellingham, WA to Houston-- scenic routes please!!

I am hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice for the must-sees on my road trip from Bellingham to Houston. This is an exciting transitional time for me, and I want it to be peaceful, relaxed, and fun! I am traveling alone, and can give myself ample time to enjoy stopping somewhere daily and taking in the sights. I really want to connect with nature and wildlife as much as possible, giving myself a nice walk daily, and if there's an art museum or interesting, historical and kitschy attractions worth checking out, that would be lovely. I am on a budget, but I can definitely spend a couple of those nights in cute B&Bs, as well as some days in less expensive motels that offer non-smoking rooms. I am leaving next Tuesday the 4th, and I'm giving myself through the 10th to arrive in Houston, with a view towards driving just about 6 hours a day. Would love any thoughts or ideas. Thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default Always and Everywhere

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Frankly, in my travels driving through every state in the US, I have been hard pressed to find an uninteresting road, or a place without an intriguing little museum, or an area that doesn't present at least several trails, paths, or even sidewalks worth ambling down. A few years back, I went through an exercise of finding at least one such place every 2-3 hours along every Interstate Highway, but that's just the tip of the ice burg. And actually, your drive cutting southeast across the western US is one of the most scenic, historic, and Big Sky jaunts available. I-90 over the Snoqualmie Pass, I-84 through the Snake River Valley and down to the Great Salt Lake Basin, I-80 over the Rockies and through the Great Divide Basin, I-25 down the Front Range, and US-287 through the Red River Valley - It doesn't get much better than that.

I will point you to a few of my favorite scenic spots and short hikes along there including the unique Bruneau Canyon, Garden of the Gods outside Colorado Springs, and Capulin Volcano National Monument. One other very under-utilized resource to keep in mind for hikes are the National Forests. Spread