1. Default New orleans to new york road trip advice needed please =)

Hi Everyone

I am doing a road trip with 3 of my friends from New Orleans to New York in 4 NIGHTS.

Stopping at Memphis, Atlanta, Savanna & Myrtle Beach so far..

Does anyone have any suggestions on places to stop at, and places not to stop at...
    Or which is the best route?

Thank you in advance!

Melbourne, Australia

Default When?

Hi Mars, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Since you have posted the same question in both the Spring and the Summer forums, it would be helpful to know when you are planning to take this trip. It would also be good to know a little about the interests of those taking the trip, and what the trip is to achieve. As you will read, again and again on these forums, we do not do 'bests' and 'must sees'. Every trip is unique, designed to meet the interests and desires of the participants.

3. Default

Hi Lifemagician

I'm going with 3 girls from Australia and we are going in April from the 27th -30th for 4 nights. We want to check out the beaches, a lot of history, places with great restaurants, gorgeous scenery etc We want to experience the south really... We don't know what to expect as we have never been there before.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default respecting time

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got more trip planned then you have time for already. 4 Days simply isn't very much time for this trip.

Even going a direct route, you'd need 2.5 days just to make the drive from NOLA to NYC, and the detours you're planning make this a 3-4 day drive, before you even factor in stops. At most right now, you're only going to have time to spend a few hours in each of these places.

In fact, I don't even see what you are thinking for a basic plan right now. You've got 4 days, but only 3 nights if you'll be gone from the 27th to the 30th, and the last stop you've listed, Myrtle Beach, is really more than a single day drive away from New York.

Is this part of a larger trip? Did you have some sort of outline as to how you think this would work? Because I just can't see how you'd make it fit and have time for restaurants, beaches, or historical stops.

I really think you're going to have to rework your basic plan to make this actually work, and if 4 days is all you've got to work with, doing a one way trip that ends in New York probably won't be the best way to experience the south.

5. Default

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response. The trip is April 2013 and is actually 4 nights 5 days.

I would like to go through Memphis, Atlanta, Savnannah, Charleston and Myrtle Beach.

What do you suggest I do? What route should I take. Or is this too ambitious?

Happy to hear any other responses

Green County, Wisconsin

I'm not quite sure how 27th through the 30th equals 4 nights and 5 days, but if that time also includes getting from New Orleans to New York and visit the 5 other cities you mentioned, then no I don't think 5 days is nearly enough time.

As I mentioned, you're looking at 4 full days of driving just to get between those destinations, which means you would have at most a few hours to spend in each city. I don't get the impression that you'd want that kind of trip.

Again, the answers lie with the questions I asked previously. Is this part of a larger trip? Are you flexible with your starting ending points? Can you add more time? You can certainly have an excellent trip and experience the south, but you're going to have to make some significant changes to what you've come up with so far.