Bayonne, New Jersey, United States

Default Bayonne, NJ Drive to Fort Jackson, South Carolina

Hey everyone, I am hoping someone can give me some helpful advice. I need to get to SC by 10/3 8:00am for my sons Bootcamp graduation. No here is my thing. I have to work on the 2nd and was thinking of leaving Jersey around 1-2 PM but I really don't want to hit the DC traffic?

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a pretty serious problem. Right now, it doesn't seem like you are leaving yourself anywhere near enough time for this trip. This is a trip of more than 700 miles, and while you can certainly do that in a single trip, it is quite a bit more than we recommend, as well as quite a bit more than professional drivers are allowed.

Now, if you treat this like a job, you could make the trip in one shot, however, that means planning for this trip to be a full day of work all by itself. Get a good night sleep, get on the road first thing in the morning, and plan to arrive quite late at night. You're looking at spending at least 13 hours on the road, plus delays for I-95 traffic.

What I would actually do in your shoes is take I-81 to I-77, spend the night in the southern suburbs of Charlotte after what is already a long day of 650 miles on the road. This adds a bit of distance to your trip vs. I-95, but is much less likely to have traffic problems. Then wake up early the next morning for the last 90 miles to Fort Jackson.

But no matter which route you take, you really have to take off on the 2nd. Trying to drive these kinds of distances after getting off of work is not smart or safe, it really is a full day job all by itself. If you can't do that, then you really need to fly. Actually, from a cost perspective, it looks like you can fly from New York to Columbia for about $240, which is about the same price you'll pay for gas.

Joplin MO

Agreed - you either need to take a few days off or you need to fly.