Default Going my way? Driver needed

I am looking for help with driving a U-Haul from Minnesota to San Diego
    by October 1st, we will share the gas cost and must be able to drive
    for at lease 4hrs per shift, We will share the cost for over night stay at
    roadside Hotels if needed.

Only serious minded, I need to be in San Diego by the October no hurry on the
    date, I just need to get my house hold items there and myself before the winter
    comes.

I do not live in the Greater Metro Area of Minnesota am south about 80 miles
    please feel free to contact me. A.S.A.P

If I can not get help with driving I would like to know if someone would be able to drive my car to San Diego..Thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-27-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Please do not shout via Bold/All Caps

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We wish you luck finding someone to make this trip with you.

Out of curiosity, are you planning to have your co-traveler drive the UHaul while you drive your own car? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to just tow your car on a trailer?

I will offer a couple words of caution. First, you will need to make sure any other driver is listed as an additional driver on your UHaul documents. Second, and more importantly, if you decide you need someone to move your car to California, I'd highly recommend that you contact a Driveaway service rather than just hiring someone on your own. Going through a 3rd party eliminates most of the risk of the potentially nasty side effects of just making an agreement with another person - including protection if they get into an accident, damage your car, or decide that they'd rather keep the car rather than drive it to SD.

Default Take care.

As one who has driven many Auto DriveAway cars, (looks like they have uodated their web site), let me endorse Michael's cautions. As a casual driver with one of these companies there are many security checks, deposit paid and fingerprints taken.

I would never just give a stranger a car to drive without all the precautions these companies take.

Lifey

Default Driver Needed

I am planning to use a tow bar for my car and I have will have insurance for both
    I will put both me and the other driver on the contract as needed I will do a background
    check for the license driver I will also do a background check to see other info, I don't want to
    harbor a criminal trying to leave town, Getting my 2000 Chevy cost is over 800 to transport and
    am trying to save as much money as possible. I have contacted many of the transport services and
    they are very expensive so if I Hire and rent a U-haul that seems the best way, I have traveled to
    California 2 times already and had to leave most of my thing behind, not this time.
    I really would like to say, thank you for the info and concerns I need more info thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-28-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

I would highly recommend you use a trailer, not just a tow bar or dolly. U-Haul will not let you use a tow bar with one of their trucks.

Default Driver Needed

I appreciate all of the advice and am very happy there are so many concerned
    When I come to my email am hoping go have one with somebody willing to help
    me drive.
    My husband was in the Navy and when we moved I didn't like to fly and still don't
    so we had to drive everywhere and when he'd go over seas I stayed over here.

This is the point I want to make it clear whom ever is willing to drive me, will be getting a background check
    on their license and from the BCA, I think more of my life that that, beside am over 45 and been doing
    this for a long time, and as far as U-haul I will let them figure it out when I get there, maybe the wrong
    words were used.. but this conversation seems to be going in the wrong direction. I need HELP! DRIVING

THERE MAY BE A CHANGE IN THE DIRECTION AM GOING AND THE OTHER PLACE IS ALABAMA IT IS FASTER
    BUT I WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THIS THREAD.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR CONCERNS AND ADVICE.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I would highly recommend you use a trailer, not just a tow bar or dolly. U-Haul will not let you use a tow bar with one of their trucks.