Default Las Vegas loop via g.c south rim, Bryce and Zion

Hi all,

My partner and I will be in las Vegas on the 19th of September, we would like to see hoover dam, some of route 66, grand canyon south rim, Zion n.p and Bryce canyon n.p. firstly is there any car hire companies in las Vegas that don't charge a fee for under 25 year olds as I'm 22?? We would like to start the trip on the 21st of September and be back in Vegas by the 24th is this enough time?? Any advice or suggestions would be amazing!!

Cheers Ryan.

Default Very rushed pace?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanF View Post
    My partner and I will be in las Vegas on the 19th of September, we would like to see hoover dam, some of route 66, grand canyon south rim, Zion n.p and Bryce canyon n.p.
    Ryan, welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Unfortunately, we know of no car rental company that doesn't charge a "young driver surcharge."

Four days will be a very hectic pace -- but it could be doable.

(I'm late for a meeting -- I'll be back in 4 hours to finish my thoughts)

The under 25 fee is pretty standard and its rare that any company won't charge it. However, if you shop around you might find some of the smaller companies will charge a bit less - say $15-20, instead of the more typical $25. For example, I remember Fox Rental Car typically being a bit less than other companies, but you'll have to shop around to find where you can get the best overall deal. (ie, saving $5 a day on the underage fee doesn't help if their base rate is $10 a day more.)

4 Days is rushed but doable for what you've got in mind. On the 21st, you could drive to the Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam and Route 66. The 22nd finish exploring GC and make the drive to Bryce. The 23rd you'd explore Bryce and head back down to Zion, and the 24th you'd see Zion and then drive back to Vegas.

Fox is probably going to be your best bet. The RTA rental car finder comes up with Fox as being the least expensive to begin with. Now - additional drivers are $10 a day, and the underage fee is $14 a day per underage driver. This should still be better than anyone else. Your base rate including taxes and fees looks to be around the $130 range for the whole rental period.

You will need a credit card, a passport, and an International Driving Permit. If all you have is a debit card, it looks like you may be able to use it if you show proof of a return airline ticket.

(I'm late for a meeting -- I'll be back in 4 hours to finish my thoughts)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your replies guys and I'm still looking forward to your thoughts mark. I think we are going to go with fox car rental they seem to be the cheapest.

Our plan so far is arrive in Vegas on the 19th September spend the 20th in Vegas and depart the 21st

21st- Vegas- Hoover dam- Williams spending the night in tusayan
    22nd early morning wake up head to grand canyon, leave grand canyon around 1 or 2 and head to kanab to stay the night
    23rd- another early morning kanab to Bryce canyon then in the afternoon drive to Zion and stay the night
    24th- explore Zion and head back to las Vegas
    25th- fly out of las Vegas to San Francisco

Is this itinery possible in the amount of time we have, sorry if I seem abit clueless

Cheers for all the help!!!!

Default Yep.

Simply put, yes it's possible. You could spend much more time exploring these wonderful parks and what is between them, but you will get a feel of each place with the time you have. When you arrive at Bryce, drive to the far end of the canyon and stop at the viewpoints on the way back, by doing so all the pull outs will be on your side of the road and you won't have to keep crossing traffic.

Springdale is a wonderful little town with lodging options right by the entrance to Zion NP.

You can get from the dam to Tusayan in about 4.5 hours, so you should be able to check in, go into the park, and see the sunset over the canyon. If you get up early, you can go back in and also see the sunrise!

Once you get out of the GC, you can make it to Kanab in about 3 hours or so. On the way out, that's the best time to stop at all the eastern viewpoints. I would dedicate the morning to using the shuttle bus system out to Hermit's Rest and back.

Kanab to Bryce is about 1.5 hours, you should be able to see all the viewpoints on the road and watch the movie in the visitor's center in about 4 hours.

Bryce to Springdale through Zion is about 2 hours.