1. Default Toronto - Denver - Vancouver

Moving to Vancouver from Toronto and want to do a road trip through the US and to the Grand Canyon on the way there.

My question is about the first portion from Toronto to Denver. I will be leaving this weekend and meeting a friend in Denver on Tuesday.

It's 2400 km to Denver. I figure I'll do 600 kms / day. What should I expect doing this drive ? Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska... Should I just barrel down and get it over with in 3 days @ 800 kms / day to save me some boredom ?

After picking up my friend in Denver we'll do the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Las Vegas, Northern California, Wine Country, Oregon, Washington State... and other friends will be flying in to join for different parts of the trip so it will surely be interesting...

Any advice, must sees, avoids, anything ?

I like kinda doing things spontaneously so I don't want too rigid a schedule, but I don't want to miss anything too obvious out of ignorance of a locale...

Thanks !!!

Default Quite the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by tlken View Post
    It's 2400 km to Denver. I figure I'll do 600 kms / day. What should I expect doing this drive ? Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska... Should I just barrel down and get it over with in 3 days @ 800 kms / day to save me some boredom ?
    There are no boring roads in North America, there are quite literally thousands of attractions and natural and historic sites along such a route. 600 kms per day will be an easy pace -- What are you driving for this move?
    After picking up my friend in Denver we'll do the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Las Vegas, Northern California, Wine Country, Oregon, Washington State... and other friends will be flying in to join for different parts of the trip so it will surely be interesting...
    Whoa! How long will this trip be? At a minimum it would require 15 days -- just to drive to those places.
    Any advice, must sees, avoids, anything ?
    First thing, I always recommend, have everyone on the trip take this quiz and determine if everyone is planning the same KIND of road trip!

You might the RTA Routes page to be a help -- click in the areas you'll be driving through to get a glimpse of some of the things you might see on your trip.

Once we know the time span of this trip, we can offer some more specific routing ideas.

Mark

3. Default

I am driving a 2010 Acura TL 6 speed manual transmission with 4WD and all season tires. It's a great highway car, 305 HP so lots of passing power and super comfortable seats and Honda / Acura navigation GPS.

The trip can take as long as I want it to literally. I work in Vancouver and don't need to be back at work until the 9th of Sept. So if i'm not in Vancouver by then I can park at an airport, just fly up, complete my work assignment, then fly back to the car and continue the trip. As long as it's a big enough airport and served by United or US Airways I can fly from there at the drop of a hat.

My friends who are dropping in are only coming for a few days at a time. To see things they want to see by car then I will drop them off at an airport and they will fly back home. This way it's fun for me and I'm not alone too much but I also don't have to worry about getting annoyed with any one person for too long. lol...

So my timeframe is leave Toronto alone on Friday the 24th, pick up a friend in Denver on the 28th.... and eventually get my car to Vancouver by the 7th or 8th or later if I'm having a really great time.

Thanks in advance !!!!

4. Default

also how fast can I realistically drive without getting pulled over ? In Canada I just cruise at 120 KMH ( 75 MPH ). 55 MPH is 88 KMH which seems really slow. How much above that is tolerated south of the border ?

I would not drive faster than 5 mph over the speed limit. I usually set my cruise control to 3 or 4 mph over, verified by GPS. Follow the flow in and around the cities on heavily traveled highways and you are usually (but not always) OK. Just don't draw undue attention to yourself by weaving in and out or driving aggressively. Pick a lane and flow with it, don't tailgate. Here is a state by state list of common speed limits. The national 55 mph limit is a thing of the past.

6. Default

this is great. thanks for the link!