1. Default GRAND CANYOU ROAD TRIP ( Oakladnd-> L.A. -> Grand Canyon -> Las Vegas -> Yosemite

Hi everyone,
    I am a Czech graduate student finishing my internship in the Bay Area and I would like to go on a road trip before I leave for the Czech Republic on September 10. I am looking for some easy going people who would like to join me in this adventure. Here’s my proposal including dates and things to see:
    Day 1: September 1
    Oakland – L.A. (driving along Highway 1 with stops in Monterey/Big Sur/Santa Barbara; arriving in L.A. in the evening and staying in a motel/hotel somewhere close to Hollywood Blvd)
    Day 2: September 2
    L.A. – Hollywood Blvd, Walk of Fame, hike to the Hollywood sign/Universal Studios/Griffith Park - I am pretty flexible here. Accommodation probably in the same motel/hotel like the night before.
    Day 3: September 3
    Driving towards Flagstaff, AZ and getting as close as possible to Williams, AZ. Staying somewhere along the road.
    Day 4: September 4
    From Williams AZ, leaving the motel early in the morning and going to the Grand Canyon South Rim. Going on a short hike, but probably not down to Colorado river. In the afternoon going back to the motel.
    Day 5: September 5
    Driving from Williams, AZ to Las Vegas. Spending the night there, enjoying the Fremont Street Experience, Hotel Ballagio Fountain etc.
    Day 6: September 6
    From Las Vegas, heading North to Yosemite NP, hopefully finding a spot for camping.
    Day 7: September 7
    Driving back to the Bay Area.

The plan is open for negotiation, but the dates are fixed, as I am limited by my work schedule and flight back home. Please text me/email me and will call you back. Only if you are seriously interested.
    Thank you, Jakub.

Moderator Note: Removed Phone Number per Forum Policy
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default suggestions

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We wish you good luck in finding a fellow traveler for your trip - although I've removed your phone number as posting such info on any internet forum is a sure way to get your number into the hands of spam texters and phone solicitors.

I will offer the suggestion that its really far too long of a drive to try and go from Oakland to LA via the coast in a day. While its an easy trip via I-5, the coast takes about twice as long, and you'd be looking at somewhere around 18 hours on the road - plus whatever time you need to stop at things along the way.

I'd also tell you that a short hike into the Grand Canyon is a great thing to do, but you should never even consider to hiking down to the river and back in a day. People who attempt such a thing are about the biggest reason for emergency rescues at the canyon.

Camping spots at Yosemite fill up very quickly, and it may already be too late to find a spot. I'd start looking for reservations now, and hope for a cancellation.

Joplin MO

Also, you are only giving yourself half a day in the Grand Canyon and half a day in Yosemite. You aren't going to see much.