Default Mechanical Breakdown Protection Worth the Money

We just bought a new motor home and have an option to buy an insurnce ploicy from Camper World that pays for the parts and labor for covered repairs for 60 months or 75,000 miles with a $100 deductable. Is this worth it?

That depends on your financial situation. The way these things are built these days, you may find it worthwhile. I'd look to see what those "covered repairs" are before I would buy it, AND who has to do the service or provide the parts. Camping World is all over the USA, but what happens if your breakdown is 250 miles from the closest CW?

I don't ordinarily do this, but you can also check out RV.net. For awhile there, I was pretty active on that board as well as this one, and found it more helpful for RV-related questions. We discuss RV's a lot here, but that question may best be answered on a forum that specializes in MH's and RV's.

Donna

Also, how much does this policy cost?

The motorhome is a 32 foot Windsport by Thor. The price of the protection is $2,770.

Default I don't like being 'tied in'.

It's always a tough decision to make but as Donna mentioned you need to know exactly what 'covered repairs' covers, and not by word of mouth, but by reading the contract details thoroughly. Other than a 'major' incident, [engine/Tranny failure] most problems/expenses incurred are for 'wear and tear' items that these policies often do not cover. It may have another clause where you have to use a recommended dealer to carry out services on schedule and these can often be more expensive than a local dealer.

I take it the vehicle is new to you and not 'brand' new as it would all be covered by Mftrs warranty, and even if second hand and bought from a dealer, should have some sort of warranty with it. [Well here in the UK it would [?]

Only you can decide which way to go, but if it's a clean, reliable vehicle with good history, that $2770 could go a long way to keeping it maintained and serviced regular, if it was in your bank rather than in someone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba3040 View Post
    The motorhome is a 32 foot Windsport by Thor. The price of the protection is $2,770.
    three grand would go a long way towards fiximg any problem you could have. remember any ext. warrenty cost imcludes the cost of expected repairs plus the warrenty companys profit and sales commissions. in other word they usually arent worth it.