Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year Long Trek

Default Year Long Trek

I am currently starting to plan a one year trek for me and my wife across the Country. We are planning on hitting every state except Alaska. We will be leaving from Florida in January/February time frame. Our present plan would be to head northwest from Orlando and then west towards Louisiana and hit the states that will keep us out of heavy cold and snow. We want to hit as many National Parks as we can and sites like Elvis home in Tn and parts of Route 66. Any suggestions on routing or what we should carry with us would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard RTA!

Sounds like quite an adventure! As for routing, that would depend completely on your interests and which NP's you want to see, etc. I would do two things: get out a big map of the USA (paper type) and then start poking around this site to see what interests you. Flag areas of consideration. A route will soon develop.

Or, you could go the opposite: choose a route that looks interesting to you and then see what's available within so-many miles of it.

What you should carry with you: are you driving a motorhome, or will you be motel/restaurants? Be sure to carry safety supplies (flares, triangles, flashlight) for your vehicle, regardless, plus a decent first aide kit. There are also good lists in the Gear Up! forum section. My husband and I consider a cooler essential. Your needs may vary.

Donna

Donna I appreciate your feedback. We will be traveling in a 32 foot Motorhome. We like the idea of the map.

Default Fun times ahead !

That's quite some adventure you have to look forward to !

We love RV'ing in the US and have visited many NP's in the Four corners States, along with California, NV etc. I would start by purchasing an annual National parks pass that can be bought on-line, or from the first NP entry kiosk you come to. It's $80 and admits entrance to every NP as many times as you want for all persons in the vehicle for one year from date of purchase. It does not include camping fees and other extras. The National parks are very popular and have a limited number of RV sites, especially for the larger RV's such as yours. This means you will have to decide whether you are prepared to travel in and out of the parks from private campgrounds, or to book ahead of time to garuantee a spot. They can sell out within hours of the booking window opening for peak times !

Keep working on your map and routes. As the planning unfolds and new questions come up feel free to ask away !

Dave.

Great suggestion on the Park admission. Do most of the parks have a 50 amp service? Is it a hassle to go and out during a day?

If either of you are 62 or older, you can get a lifetime parks pass for $10.

You can go to nps.gov and get details on all the parks.

Have you considered using a toad? That way you won't have to go in and out.

I would recommend that if it doesn't already have one, you get a generator installed in the RV just in case there's no service.

Default Some do, some don't.

Some have hook ups, but many don't and the generator is a very handy thing to have in those circumstances. Other than the location, the great thing about being 'there' is that you can use the free shuttle bus services provided in a lot of the parks, which gives you more time to explore the park without the hassle of driving in and out each day and finding parking spots. It's not always a lot of hassle admittedly, [maybe on weekends/busy periods where there might be queues] but staying outside can add quite a bit of driving time to the day. A lot of parks have dump stations, water supply and shower/toilet blocks to help keep your water from running dry and waste tanks filling up.

We always try and stay in the parks where possible and in between get full hook ups on private sites, entering the next park with full water tanks and empty waste tanks.

I'm sorry I do not know what a toad is. I will be 62 when we start our trip so I will certianly take advantage of the $10 option. We have a large generator on the Mortor Home so we could certainly use that. Thanks

Good ideas. We can fill up the Gas tank just prior to going in and then use the generator. We will have our two dogs with us so we would need to leave ac running depending on the weather at the time.

A "toad" is RV slang for a towed vehicle. I'm sure you have seen them out on the highway. Here is one person's story about them. If you are going to be living in the RV for a year, I'd strongly consider getting one - or even using your present car if it's suitable. I'd only recommend 4 wheels down, dollies and trailers are too much hassle. What usually works best is a small 4 wheel drive vehicle that has a manual transfer case - that way, you don't have to pull driveshafts.

Note that most RV parks have "quiet hours" and you are not allowed to run generators after about 10pm.