Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default From San Diego to New York... Again!

Hello all this is my first post here as a Roadtrip America member!

About one year ago I moved from upstate (Albany area) NY to San Diego, CA.

I had a friend in Baltimore so I began my trip by driving through Gettysburg, PA (Where My Grandparents Live) and staying in Baltimore the first night. From there I went to Nashville for night two (And Some Fun Downtown). Day three brought me through Memphis (Beale St., Graceland, Lorraine Motel), Little Rock and Oklahoma City (Bombing Memorial) following I-40 from then on. I was able to see the Cadillac Graveyard (Amarillo, TX), Balloon Fest and the Sandia Tramway (Albuquerque, NM), The Meteor Crater (Standin' on the corner in Winslow, AZ) and The Grand Canyon (AZ) with a helicopter ride through to top things off before reaching San Diego.

This time my dad is flying to San Diego to take the trip with me. We are planning on taking the northern route this time and this is what I have planned so far:

Day 1: Begin in San Diego and head to Las Vegas, NV (My dad has never been) and the hoover dam. From there we'll head back to CA and up to San Francisco (I have never been).

Day 2: After spending the night in/around SF, CA we head out towards Lake Tahoe, CA/NV and on to Salt Lake City, UT.

Day 3: We'll then proceed up to Mount Rushmore, SD through to Sioux Falls, SD.

Day 4: After a Drive through Minnesota and Wisconsin we'll head through Chicago, IL and stay with my friend in Cleveland, OH.

Day 5: From Cleveland, OH we will head through PA into New York again, stopping in Ithaca to see some friends and then moving on to our final destination.

Although I have most of the trip planned out I don't know any fun/interesting/amazing/breathtaking/cool spots along the northern route to see. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what to see/do without straying too far from the current route.

Thanks!

Ryan

Default Very rushed.

Hi Ryan, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

With only five days, I am afraid there will be very little time to enjoy any of the places you plan on visiting. For instance, driving from LV to SF is a full day. Next day you drive to Lake Tahoe, leaving at the most a half day to see SF... a very large place with many interesting and historic sites to visit.

Lifey

Default Can you take 10 days?

Quote Originally Posted by NYAmorican View Post
    Hello all this is my first post here as a Roadtrip America member!
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Your route as outlined above has some odd back-and-forth elements.

What I'd recommend... Make this a 10-day trip.. That way, you can actually see some of the things and places you mentioned...

Day 1: San Diego to Las Vegas -- you'll be pushing to see much of Hoover Dam, but it is possible.

Day 2: Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe is possible (US-395) either through Death Valley or this route through the White Mountains. It would better to stay overnight in Bishop and then go Lake Tahoe on Day 3.

Day 4: Go to San Francisco

Day 5: Drive to Salt Lake City

Day 6 & 7: It's a 1.5 day drive to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands NP.

Day 8 & 9: After a Drive through Minnesota and Wisconsin we'll head through Chicago, IL and stay with my friend in Cleveland, OH.

Day 10: From Cleveland, OH we will head through PA into New York again, stopping in Ithaca to see some friends and then moving on to our final destination.

Default More than 'Very rushed'.

San Diego to NY is a minimum of a 5 day trip by the most direct route, with little time for any sight seeing other than at where you stop for the night. You will be driving for 9-10 hours each day with time only for appropriate rest breaks and to fill with gas etc.

The route you are proposing is 7 full days of driving and is just not possible to do safely and make the detours worthwhile over 5 days. From SF to SLC is 750 miles and over 13 hours of driving, that's before stopping at Lake Tahoe. Next day, even worse ! SLC to Sioux Fall is over 1000 miles and with a very brief visit to Mt Rushmore would make it 2 full days on the road. If you have made it this far you then plan to drive another 930 miles to Cleveland via Chicago !

I agree with Mark, double it and make it a 10 day trip and you can make the detours worthwhile. What you have is pretty much impossible and trying to average 900 miles a day over 3 days in the middle of a long trip, is way beyond what professional drivers are allowed to do by law, it would certainly be no fun and also carries a high risk to your safety and well being.

You are also ignoring Yosemite!

Default Hmmm? Kind of missed day one plan !

George is right, Yosemite is a wonderful NP, but I think you have more important issues to sort out. From San Diego to San Francisco via Hoover dam and Las Vegas is another day of near to a 1000 miles. That's going to be about 17 hours plus on the road, plus Hoover dam visit and Las Vegas traffic, never mind stopping there ! Again, another impossible day I'm sorry to say !

Default comparison

Just for comparison sake, nearly every drive you are proposing for this trip is twice as long as any leg on your trip from east to west.

When you drove to California would you have been able to double your drives and still see all the things you visited? If not, then you should rethink your plan.

8. Default

Alright... I know I can do the drive. That isn't the issue. It is very possible and I did the same thing coming the other way.

I was just wondering if there were any cool sights/places not too far off the beaten trail.

Default But can you do it *safely*.

Quote Originally Posted by NYAmorican View Post
    Alright... I know I can do the drive. That isn't the issue. It is very possible and I did the same thing coming the other way.

I was just wondering if there were any cool sights/places not too far off the beaten trail.
    It's not an issue whether you can do the drive, the issue is whether you can do it safely. I know you think you can, but remember there are many thousands each year who think they can, and never reach their destination. Professional drivers are by law limited to much less than you are attempting to do, and for very good reason.

In any case, you will not have time for sightseeing.

Lifey

Default And Dad ?

Going by what you told us in post one, you did nowhere near the same thing on your trip coming out west, see Michaels post.

You don't have to take onboard what has been said and we wish you a safe journey, but it would be pointless waste of our time and yours listing any of the thousands of attractions you could visit, as you won't have enough for the one's that you have already planned on seeing. Feel free to search the forums and planning pages above where you will find Lots of info and planning tools. One is the Map centre where you will find many attractions listed by RTA contributors across the country, but unless you seriously rethink your planned route and/or time it will be a waste.

I hope your father is OK with spending 16 hours a day in a car and that he understands this is what your current plan would mean for him.

Good luck.