1. Default Tour of the Northeast

Hey all,

I am just looking for general ideas, places to see and eat and worthwhile routes to take!! Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I have a 3 week break from school so I have plenty of time to enjoy the ride!!

Here is what I have so far:

Starting in Scarsdale, NY going to Portland, ME (stopping for lobster and such). From there, Ive read about doing the "big sur" of Maine, so I was thinking about making the trip around the coast and then back inland. Next through White Mountain National Forrest on my way to Waterbury, VT (for Ben and Jerrys, of course!). Up to Ottawa for a few days to visit some friends. Then down to the Adirondacks for a few days of hiking (mountain suggestions welcome). Possibly to Old Forge? Then down to Cooperstown (Heaven!!). From there... heading home!!

Let me know what you think and again, I would be grateful for any suggestions that might make this an even better trip!

Many Thanks

Joplin MO

Do you have a passport? You will need one if you want to go to Canada unless you have an "enhanced" driver's license. I would also recommend you get a Canadian insurance ID card from your auto insurance company.

3 weeks should be plenty to do that, sounds like you will have a great trip!

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

In Portland, go down to Old Port. That's where the best lobster places are, according to the clerks at the hotel we stayed at in Portland a few weeks ago. We chose Portland Lobster Co. It looks like a little hole-in-the-wall, but the food was great. They have more than just seafood, too (which is why we chose it).

We highly recommend US-1 from I-295 over to Trenton, ME. While there aren't too many coastal views from the actual highway, it's a beautiful drive with lots of quaint towns along the way.

I would also recommend Acadia National Park. There's a driving tour around the island, there are plenty of hikes if you are so inclined. Realize that there is only one place to eat in the NP itself, and it's a bit pricey, but you can always catch food of any sort (including places with lobster) right outside the park.

Tucson, AZ

Default Ideas Galore

Wherever you go in New England, you should have no trouble finding plenty of unique sites. here are a 'few' of my favorites.

Western/Central Massachusetts

How much time would you have allocated for your hike in the Adirondacks? I haven't hiked up there in a while, my last hike being Mt. Algonquin (second highest peak in NY after Mt. Marcy). I recall it being a challenging and rewarding hike that took several hours round-trip (about 7).

Wallingford, Connecticut, United States

In Waterbury, from Ben & Jerry's I would suggest taking a drive over the mountain road, and getting breakfast/lunch at one of the best restaurants in the state. Not only do you get to drive through more of Stowe, (the better part than near B&J's, near the mountain...) find some maple and keep driving on rt. 108 north over the notch. Amazing views, sheer cliffs, popular spot in VT. Hiking at the top only 1 mile to an alpine lake on sterling mountain w/ views of mt mansfield, amazing. if your not into hiking the drive down the other side of the notch, past smuggler's notch and into Jeffersonville is well worth it. Tiny vermont town home of The Mix Cafe, (I used to work there so I am a little biased but check the menu out, speaks for itself.... Its a little ways but hell anywhere you drive up here is.

7. Default

Hey all,

Thanks for the input. I have already started my trip, but decided to do it a bit differently (reversed)!! I have hiked Algonquin, Iroquois, and Avalanche Pass and have made my way to Canada. I will still be going to ben and jerrys and I will definitely look into the mix cafe, but I dont know if timing will allow for lunch as they close at 2. I will, however, now be driving through the mountains to portland. I appreciate all of the suggestions!!