Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trip From Las Vegas to Chicago in 1994 Grand Caravan =)

Hello all, my family and I are planning a trip from Las Vegas to Chicago.
    We have actually done this trip twice before and are familiar with the way and time.
    the first time was back in 2005, we drove in a 2005 Dodge Ram 5 adults and a child, wasnt too comfortable lol.
    the first time it took us around 30hrs since it was the first time and got a little lost on the way with only 1 driver we only stopped to rest a few hours.
    the second time we traveled was in 2007 in a 2007 Toyota Sequoia more room =) but more people this time -.- over all it was 5 Adults and 4 teenagers, yes i know 9 People in an 8 passenger car lol one of the kids went in the back luggage area and all the luggage was mounted on the roof jiji. anyways the second time we made it in an amazing 22 hrs. 2 drivers driving 24/7 changing between every fillup and driving a bit too fast shhhhh...
    Now we really want to go again we really love chicago and we have family over there,
    but this time will be a little different, since economy went way down the company i worked for went into bankruptcy in 08 and i lost my job, newer cars were repod and bla bla bla so anyways this
    time we are planning on driving our 1994 Grand Caravan this van has always been maintained and has never ever given me any problems whatsoever it currently has 212k miles and runs perfectly. yes of course before we leave i will do complete tuneup and check it completely also i will buy new tires for the trip. now our plan is For October, we will Leave on a saturday and arrive on sunday in chicago. from there we will stay 5 days and then travel down to St. Louis Missouri (5Hr drive) and then stay there a few days and drive back to vegas and on the way back stop at some interesting places etc.
    now i would like your guys' feedback on this, do you guys think its a good idea to drive our van? again i keep it up in maintenence and has never ever gave me problems also just to throw it in i am mechanically inclined and my son is also he will get his assosiate for automotive technology degree next semester so if anything happens it shouldnt be a problem. what do you guys think about making a 4000mile round trip in a 18 yr old car with 212k miles?? we drive it daily all over vegas on freeways and such for sure 3 adults and 1 child are going but maybe we add 2 adults if they decide to go i really want it because of the room and its very comfortable to travel
    sorry this is so long and thank you =) Let me know what you think also we really dont want to rent it will be over $1200 to rent a car. and thats a big no no in my opinion.

Default I would worry more about safety !!

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I'm afraid no one can possibly make any meaningful comment about your vehicle on an Internet forum, whether it 3 years old or 20 years old. Only a qualified mechanic [or at least someone with knowledge] could give you an opinion that is worth something after inspection of the vehicle.

As for driving to Chicago from Las Vegas in a claimed 22 hours, well I find that hard to swallow to be honest. With 9 people including a kid in the luggage area in a van that must have been by far exceeding the speed limit to cover that distance, well I'm lost for words tbh ! You were lucky you made it at all and just because you did doesn't mean you will again. Please re-think as it all might all end in tears for you and those that share the road with you.

Good luck with your trip. :-)

Seriously, the drives you've done in the past and are apparently planning to do again are reckless beyond belief. Doing the trip in 22 hour is impossible, unless you spent most of the trip traveling far in excess of 100 mph, so either you either are telling a tall tale, or engaged in conduct that would have likely resulted in criminal charges and jail time if you would have been caught.

Now again, you're playing a real life game russian roulette by planning to leave on Saturday and arrive in Chicago - 1800 miles away - the next day.

The car is the least of your concerns, and while we never wish ill on anyone, frankly we can only hope your car breaks down if only to force you to stop and get some rest.

Please reconsider your plans. Your luck will run out eventually, and the kinds of things you are talking about will cost people their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I'm afraid no one can possibly make any meaningful comment about your vehicle on an Internet forum, whether it 3 years old or 20 years old. Only a qualified mechanic [or at least someone with knowledge] could give you an opinion that is worth something after inspection of the vehicle.

As for driving to Chicago from Las Vegas in a claimed 22 hours, well I find that hard to swallow to be honest. With 9 people including a kid in the luggage area in a van that must have been by far exceeding the speed limit to cover that distance, well I'm lost for words tbh ! You were lucky you made it at all and just because you did doesn't mean you will again. Please re-think as it all might all end in tears for you and those that share the road with you.

Good luck with your trip. :-)
    i might have over exagerated maybe 24 hrs or so and yes we were speeding, yes well over the speed limit and honestly i do understand its a risk and what not but it was done. the time it takes to travel from las vegas to chicago is approx 28 hours following speed limit and idk how but yes it took us around 24 hrs or so i know this time we will not be driving fast and and if you dont believe it calculate the miles.....1800 miles driven at an average of 80mph it would take approx. 22.5 Hours to drive...so dont come up and tell me its immpossible and dont tell me youve never driven past 80 mph which most speed limit is 65-75mph

thank you for replying

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Seriously, the drives you've done in the past and are apparently planning to do again are reckless beyond belief. Doing the trip in 22 hour is impossible, unless you spent most of the trip traveling far in excess of 100 mph, so either you either are telling a tall tale, or engaged in conduct that would have likely resulted in criminal charges and jail time if you would have been caught.

Now again, you're playing a real life game russian roulette by planning to leave on Saturday and arrive in Chicago - 1800 miles away - the next day.

The car is the least of your concerns, and while we never wish ill on anyone, frankly we can only hope your car breaks down if only to force you to stop and get some rest.

Please reconsider your plans. Your luck will run out eventually, and the kinds of things you are talking about will cost people their lives.
    traveling at 70mph for 1800 miles will make it 25 hrs. most highway are 70mph these days but i dont plan on speeding. anyways driving for 12 hours doesnt scare me...hence there will be 2 drivers maybe even 3. and how is it a game traveling for one day and arriving the next playing a game? i dont understand and thank you... i will update once im in chicago enjoying the cold weather at the Navy Pier -.-

Traveling at 70 mph nonstop is 25 hours. You can't travel 1800 miles without stopping, and every stop you make means you are traveling at 0 mph, quickly dropping your average speed. To average 70mph, you have to be traveling at a cruising speed well above 90 mph for the vast majority of the trip.

Driving 900 miles in back to back days is far more than just 12 hours a day, its far more than is safe, and it is illegal for professional drivers. The "game" is a game of russian roulette, that can and does result in hundreds of deaths every year. Its just like a drunk driver might get behind the wheel a 100 times before they get into a crash, it doesn't mean the previous 99 times were any more safe. That's ultimately what you need to understand.

Its clear you are going to go forward, no matter the cost, and no matter who might get hurt along the way. We hope you'll come to your senses, but more importantly, we hope others have the good fortune of not being hurt by another reckless act.

Default Done them.

the time it takes to travel from las vegas to chicago is approx 28 hours following speed limit and idk how but yes it took us around 24 hrs or so i know this time we will not be driving fast and and if you dont believe it calculate the miles.....1800 miles driven at an average of 80mph it would take approx. 22.5 Hours to drive...so dont come up and tell me its immpossible and dont tell me youve never driven past 80 mph which most speed limit is 65-75mph
    To answer your questions, yes I have already done the maths and as this is a public forum, I will say that 'maybe' I have tipped over the posted speed limit from time to time, and no I never said it impossible. Whats not possible is to average 80 mph for 22 hours non stop, and if I have 'tipped' over the speed limit it is not for hours on end when tired and 'well over' 80mph to maintain that average. :-)

I have spent many years in the past driving for a living with much of my time spent on the road and have been unfortunate enough to see many accidents caused by speed or tiredness, and BOTH !! I also know that you can't average 80 mph from the moment you back out of your drive until the time you get to your destination point in a major US city without exceeding that speed by a long way. You would also be driving through heavier traffic in at least 2 rush hours in a 24 hour period and you will probably need at least 4 stops on route to re-fuel and go to the bathroom. Without eating anything that will be the best part of an hour lost, plus traffic slow downs.

Just to be clear, I'm no angel and I love to drive, I love the 'thrill' of driving and I love cars and I'm certainly not trying to preach. Our forums are about all apsects of road tripping advice and with the best intentions my advice would be to take more time over your journey and enjoy it. What you do with that is up to you and I wish you well with your journey.

... i will update once im in chicago enjoying the cold weather at the Navy Pier -.-
    Friendly advice. Please don't ! Bragging about it earns about the same respect as someone who boasted they were fine driving home after 7 pints of beer. :-)

Stay safe and good luck.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    To answer your questions, yes I have already done the maths and as this is a public forum, I will say that 'maybe' I have tipped over the posted speed limit from time to time, and no I never said it impossible. Whats not possible is to average 80 mph for 22 hours non stop, and if I have 'tipped' over the speed limit it is not for hours on end when tired and 'well over' 80mph to maintain that average. :-)

I have spent many years in the past driving for a living with much of my time spent on the road and have been unfortunate enough to see many accidents caused by speed or tiredness, and BOTH !! I also know that you can't average 80 mph from the moment you back out of your drive until the time you get to your destination point in a major US city without exceeding that speed by a long way. You would also be driving through heavier traffic in at least 2 rush hours in a 24 hour period and you will probably need at least 4 stops on route to re-fuel and go to the bathroom. Without eating anything that will be the best part of an hour lost, plus traffic slow downs.

Just to be clear, I'm no angel and I love to drive, I love the 'thrill' of driving and I love cars and I'm certainly not trying to preach. Our forums are about all apsects of road tripping advice and with the best intentions my advice would be to take more time over your journey and enjoy it. What you do with that is up to you and I wish you well with your journey.

Friendly advice. Please don't ! Bragging about it earns about the same respect as someone who boasted they were fine driving home after 7 pints of beer. :-)

Stay safe and good luck.

Dave.
    alright look, forget anything about making it in 22 hrs blah blah blah maybe i dont remember correctly or whatnot...we dont plan on making it in 28 hrs either, our plan again is leave on saturday morning or maybe even friday night, with 2 drivers. while one driver drives the other sleeps an average gas tank will let you travel around 300 miles which in a sence is traveling 3-5 hours then at next fillup the other driver drives while the previous sleeps and so on. four hours of driving and four hours of rest should be enough dont you think? its not like we are staying up all the time thats the plan one driver is driving other is sleeping and exchanging at every fillup. this will let us reach chicago in 24+hours which will be sunday in the afternoon or night. and there might be an extra driver so it would be 4 hours driving 8 hour sleep etc... this is the way we did it last time and drivers werent too tired to drive we made sure of that... just to clear up im not trying to argue or anything and again thank you for replying to post.

ok look idk if im not clearing this up. first of all maybe i dont remember correctly and i overexaggerated. ok now this time we dont plan on breaking record or anything like that our plan is for 2 drivers...while one drives the other sleeps and at every fillup we will exchange. i honestly dont think this is dangerous last time we made it the same way and there was always another 2 people awake along with driver we made sure that the driver wasnt too tired. it was honestly fun and had no trouble at all the drivers werent too tired. again there might be an extra driver so one drives other rest for 8 hours. etc. thank you for replying to post i appreciate it.