1. Default New Orleans to Monument Valley to Las Vegas

I'm planning a trip to this area in September. I'm wondering what the best route in terms of sights and reasonable timetable are. My idea now is to follow this way: New Orleans - Houston - Austin - Lubbock - Tucumcari - Alburqueque - Monument Valley - Las Vegas. We'll be two drivers and we hope to make it up to Monument Valley in four or five driving days.

Any tips?

South of England.

Default No one 'best'.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

'Best' is different for everyone based upon their personal interests and goals for the trip and as such, there is no 'best' route or attraction for all. You could make the drive to MV in 3 quite comfortable days, so with 4 or 5 you have time for a little sight seeing. Other options would include heading further west to Carlsbad Caverns and Roswell and perhaps White sands NM. You could take 191 from I40 and visit Canyon De Chelley and Four corners is an option, just to have the opportuntity to put your 2 arms and 2 legs in four different States at the same time and grab that picture ! [Only spot this is possible]

From Albu you could take US550 to Durango and take a ride on the Durango/Silverton line to the pretty mountain town of Silverton. On to Cortez you will pass Mesa Verde NP on the way to Monument Valley [via Four Corners?] From Monument Valley on route to the GC there is the Cameron Trading post that has a large store[s] and good food, lodging too if it works out for you that way.

If it's a round trip you should look for different routes out and back to see new places along the way.

3. Default

Thanks for the tips. It's great to be reassure that the route is nicely doable. Mesa Verde looks like an attractive detour.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-02-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: inline qoute not needed her

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Gouldings's Lodge

Goulding's Lodge is a nice place to stay in the valley. If you want a truly memorable place, I recommend the Firetree Inn -- an authentic hogan. I stayed there.