1. Default young aussie fellas, first time abroad in the U.S

Hi guys, Fresh newcomer to this site, great site at that.

me and about 3 other guys would like to road trip from Vancouver down to San Francisco, across to Vegas for a few days and down to LA.
    I would like to know how long I would need to do preferably the most scenic route through to San Francisco, being at a relatively constant yet relaxing pace.

We will be flying to Miami from LA afterwards, so I was thinking roughly 10-12 days providing we spend 4 days/nights in Vegas.

Thoughts and any tips would be great!

Cheers.

Welcome!

You cannot rent a car in Vancouver and return it in the US. You will need to take public transportation to Seattle to rent the car.

Also, how young are you? If you are under 25, car rental costs will be significantly higher, and if you are under 21, you can't even rent a car.

3. Default

Okay, thats not a big issue.

I am 20 now, however I will be 21 when I travel around april next year. I expected the costs to be higher as we have the same rules in oz. Generally speaking, do they hire cars out by each car, or by the people in the car, it may be cheaper as there is 4 of us.

Thanks!

The basic rate is for the car and 1 driver. Some companies charge extra for each additional driver. All drivers under 25 each pay a daily surcharge which is usually about $25. You will also have to pay a fee to return the car in a different city than you rented it from, and this can be several hundred dollars.

Bottom line, it's going to cost you about $2000 to rent a car for 2 weeks, pick up in SEA and return to LAX, with 4 underage drivers.

5. Default

Okay awesome, thanks for the info!

I would say its worth it with the trip you get out of it. Im guessing you would pay around the same money to fly, and then drive to vegas.

Thanks.

Default From one Aussie to Another.

Quote Originally Posted by wilso_92 View Post
    I would say it's worth it with the trip you get out of it.
    It sure is, especially if you have some days to explore the areas through which you will be travelling. Awesome country!

I'm guessing you would pay around the same money to fly, and then drive to Vegas.
    But you wouldn't see / experience anything like you will on a road trip.

You mention only cities in your OP. Have you thought of doing a drive along the Pacific Coast Highway (every bit as grand as The Great Ocean Road in Vic.), driving through Yosemite and Death Valley to LV, and make a trip to the Grand Canyon before returning to LA. These are all world renowned places which will leave you with life time memories, a treasury of photos and enough things to talk about for decades to come.

What I would do, if I were you, get a large, wall sized map of the US (the National Geographics is my preference), and look at places like The Avenue of Giants in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park and Crater Lake as well as the places mentioned above. All of which would be on your route. After checking out all those, you may like to adjust your time in the cities to balance more with what nature has to offer.

When are you taking this trip?

Lifey

You should be able to save money by flying in and out of the same city and doing a "loop" trip. This will eliminate the "one way" dropoff fee for the car.

I'm not endorsing a particular rental company, but the cheapest on the West Coast appears to be Fox. They also allow drivers as young as 19 and their underage surcharge appears to be less than most. However, you are only allowed to drive the car in certain states.