1. Default Road trip from Kentucky to San Diego--what route should I take & what should I see?

I'm road tripping from Kentucky to San Diego in a couple weeks and am interested to hear of any particular routes I should take and what I should see.

I'm planning on doing this in at least three days and two nights, if not longer. The only certainty is that I'd like to see the Grand Canyon. Other than this, I'm merely interested in beautiful drives and interesting places to eat. Any and all advice is welcome.

Welcome!

Exactly where in Kentucky? How many days CAN you take? 3 days are not going to be enough from anywhere in KY with *NO* sightseeing detours, it's over 2000 miles.

From Louisville, you need 5 days to make this trip with a day at the Grand Canyon.

3. Default

Ha, true, perhaps I was being a bit cavalier with the three day estimate. About six days would probably be the maximum time I'd want to take. I'm leaving from Lexington, so central Kentucky.

Lexington to SD is about 2200 miles, so that's 4 full days. With a day at the GC, you have 1 more day to play with. What I might do is go to the GC via Moab and Monument Valley.

Take I-64 to I-70, spend nights near Kansas City and Denver. On the third day, take I-70 to Utah exit 212, and take UT-128 into Moab. Get a room, then take the rest of the day seeing Arches. On the fourth day, take US-191 to US-163 and go through Monument Valley. If you don't want to drive your car on the rough unpaved road, you can take a Jeep tour. Depending on what time you get out of there, spend the night in Kayenta, Tuba City, or at the Cameron Trading Post. NOTE: I don't advise that you drive any of these roads after getting off the Interstate after dark - this is open range country and black cows in the road are hard enough to see during the day!

On the fifth day, head into the GC via the eastern entrance, spend the day sightseeing, then leave via the south entrance and spend the night in Flagstaff. The sixth day will get you to SD via I-17/Loop-101/I-10/AZ-85/I-8.

5. Default

That honestly sounds like a pretty awesome trip, thank you! I've heard Arches is great, I'll definitely check that out. Any other suggestions offhand of what to do or see in Kansas City, Denver, or elsewhere along 64 or 70 (within the same timeframe...or without of the timeframe if there's anything that's a must-see). Thanks again!

I-70 between Denver and Utah is one of the most scenic Interstates in the country.

7. Default

Sounds good; do you have any advice regarding Valley of the Gods vs Monument Valley? I've heard Valley of the Gods is equally awesome and less traveled.