Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Great Western 21 day Adventure

Hi Guys,
    Finally found a planning site that is up to my needs, great job..
    With my 40th birthday fast approaching (2016) :), my partner and I have decided to plan a great trip to celebrate. Having spent 3 weeks on the west coast before I know roughly where Id like to show my partner. What I'd like to find out is those little gems that are missed of the guides. While we do want to see the amazing natural beauty of inland, we also want to take in the coast as well.

To start he is a map of most of the points we will be visiting
    The itinerary so far....
    Day 1-2 Phoenix - Grand Canyon (236 mi)
    Day 3 Grand Canyon National Park – Lake Powell (324.2 mi)
    Day 4 Lake Powell – Bryce Canyon National Park (159.8 mi)
    Day 5 Bryce Canyon – Zion National Park – Las Vegas (247.8 mi)
    Day 7 Las Vegas - Death Valley (134.7 mi)
    Day 8 Death Valley - Yosemite Park (314.1 mi)
    Day 10 Yosemite - Lake Tahoe (192.6 mi)
    Day 11 Lake Tahoe – San Francisco (184.1 mi)

Will spend 2 full days in San Fran. Still working on the coast leg, but it will be spent on the Pacific Coast Highway (route 1)

Any pointers, links to existing routes and advise always gratefully received guys. It will be a trip of a lifetime and need to get it right.
    Last edited by Robyn Edge; 07-28-2012 at 10:45 AM.

South of England.

Default A few to start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With 21 days in total, you have a nice relaxed trip to look forward too ! You will stumble across those 'little gems' along the way that will surprise you, but there are not many things that are left out of Guides or the Internet these days. I would certainly plan to stop a night in Zion NP on route to Vegas and drive the Mount Carmel Tunnel. On the way from Bryce there is Red Rock State Park on the edge of the Dixie Forest that is worth a stop and short walk imo. You can also stop on UT 9 before you enter the tunnel at Checkaboard Mesa. Just before entering the tunnel there is the Canyon overlook Trail giving a wonderful view at it's end.

Just a few of the other places you could consider would include, Sedona and Oak Creek between Phoenix and GC, Cameron Trading Post located outside of the east entrance of the GC, Monument valley, Antelope Canyon and Valley of Fire north of Vegas. Death valley is not much of a detour at all to get to Yosemite. Cross it on 190 and then head north on 395 to Mono Lake [nice stop] and then take the Tioga Pass into Yosemite.

Cambria is a good area as a mid way stop between SF and LA and there is much to see and do. San Fran has Alcatraz and near San Simeon you have Herast Castle. If you are heading up to Lake Tahoe you could go to the Napa Valley and into SF over the Golden Gate Bridge. You will pick up many more tips looking around the forums and road trip planning pages, you could start here.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Thanks for the pointers :)