1. Default New York City to Orland driving round trip from Sept 28

we are planning a family tour to Orlando florida. We will arrive at LGA late night Sept 28 and pick up a SUV, then head for Orlando.
    We will stay in Orlando for four nights then drive back to New York.
    Can someone help me with road trip plan? Savannah and Charleston are already in my plan.

Welcome to RTA!

How long do you plan for the drive each way? Interstates will take you two long days on the road (especially if you use I-95 in either directions); the state and US highways can take you 3-4 days.

A few weeks back, we went from Orlando to north-central New Jersey. We decided to use a combination of highways. We took I-95 from Kennedy Space Center up to southern South Carolina. From there we picked up US-17 which we followed into North Carolina, then picked up US-13 which we took to US-113, then picked up 295 which ran parallel to one of the parkways (New Jersey Turnpike, I think? I don't have my maps handy). One could pick up the Turnpike which would take you into NYC area. We overnighted first at Jacksonville (because we'd spent most of the day at Kennedy Space Center), then at Myrtle Beach, SC, and finally at Chesapeake, VA before reaching our goal of Stanhope, NJ.

Donna

Default Time is of the Essence As Donna pointed out, the one thing you are going to need to m

xAs Donna pointed out, the one thing you are going to need to make this a relaxed and enjoyable RoadTrip is time. I'd say two weeks would be enough to stop at sites along the way as well as have some time at your destination and have a relaxed drive back. There are three basic routes between New York City and Orlando: The motorway route (I-95) that Donna mentioned, and that does go by Savannah, but otherwise misses a lot of the best attractions of the eastern United States; the coastal route that goes through both Charleston and Savannah as well as several beaches, wildlife refuges and historic sites; and an inland route that roughly follows the Appalachian Mountains and their foothills. You can find descriptions of the later of those two routes here. You can, of course, maximize your exploration time by taking different routes down to Orlando and back to New York.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks, Donna and AZ for your answer.
    We got a special hotel deal at Orlando for four nights. And we need to get to Orlando on Sept 30th.
    I will drive from LGA airport to Savannah and stay at Savannah on Sept 29. It is a 15 hours drive, my wife and me will take shift.
    And I guess I 95 is the fastest route, is it right?
    On Sept 30, we will spend sometime in Savannah and then drive to Orlando.
    We will check out on Oct 4th morning. then drive back to New York.
    This will be a relaxing journey, as far as we can get back to Manhattan on Oct. 8th or 9th.
    Thanks again, Donna and AZ, and I need time to read through your "East Coast Loop". it looks very informative. But it is getting late here. I am currently living in Shanghai, China.
    If I have further question, I will ask.

No, do not try to drive all the way to Savannah in one day, that would be very unsafe. If you only have 2 days to drive from NYC to Orlando, your overnight stop needs to be in Fayetteville NC. This is the halfway point.

With only 2 days, you do not have the time to do any sightseeing. Do that on your way back.

Default Jet-lag?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyalien View Post
    I will drive from LGA airport to ...

>>>>>

I am currently living in Shanghai, China.
    What time does your flight get in? If you are coming off a long haul flight, are you planning on driving all that day? and the next?

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    What time does your flight get in? If you are coming off a long haul flight, are you planning on driving all that day? and the next?

Lifey
    We will arrive at LGA late night Sept 28
    I will drive from LGA airport to Savannah and stay at Savannah on Sept 29
    At least they are spending the night around LGA after getting in.