1. Default Trip from New Hampshire to Binghamton, NY to Dayton, OH

Hey so I'm going to be visiting one of my friends in Dayton OH, and I'm thinking of taking the drive out there from New Hampshire. I also have a friend in Binghamton, NY that I would be visiting along the way, which is part of the reason I want to drive. So my question is are there any good routes to take besides the major interstates? I'm looking for as enjoyable of a drive as I can get. Any suggestions on routes would be welcome. Thanks!

Default Grand Army of the Republic Highway

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

One of my favourite routes is Route 6 through northern Pennsylvania. As the brochure says, not so much a route, as a destination in itself. There is the Kinzua Bridge State Park. This magnificent tressle bridge was the largest in its day - more than a century ago. I stumbled upon it in 2001, and admired the engineering that went into it. In 2003 a tornado destroyed it, and in 2007 I saw it there, lying on the valley floor. Still a great park. Still worth a visit.

You also have the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, as well as many other attractions, small towns and historic sites. It is a slow route, from memory I think the top speed is 45mph. Allow at least a day, if not more, to truly enjoy and savour all it has to offer. You would not want to rush through all of this. Relax and enjoy (at least some of) it.

If you are interested in historic railway bridges the Tunkhannock Viaduct on 92 at Nicholson is magnificent. And for historic covered bridges, Pennslyvania has a wealth. Here are some self drive routes.

Ohio too has some interesting routes which run south of, and parrallel to I-80.

Lifey

Where in NH?

4. Default

Thanks for the info Lifemagician, I am pretty sure I will be taking Route 6 for at least a little while. glc, I am leaving from Manchester, NH. Any advice is welcome, especially looking for good routes in ohio now, I'd like to get a good view of its countryside. Thanks!

Mapping software will take you around Boston to the Mass Pike to Albany to get from Manchester to Binghamton. You can cut off about 50 miles and probably have a more enjoyable drive by taking the non-Interstates to Albany. My software suggests 101 to Keene, then 9 to the VT/NY state line, then 7 on into the Albany area. It's only about 300 miles from Manchester to Binghamton, so you have plenty of time to do this in 1 day. I-88 from Albany to Binghamton is your best choice.

If you are a baseball fan, you will be going pretty close to Cooperstown.

Default A road less travelled.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I-88 from Albany to Binghamton is your best choice.
    That is a most pleasant drive. Seems there are very few trucks which take that route through the mountains.

Enjoy!

Lifey

If you come under time restraints and don't have the time to take US-6 across PA, you could take NY-17/I-86 across southern NY, it's also a pleasant drive and is expressway almost all the way.