1. Default Road Trip from New Brunswick Canada to New Orleans LA

Hey gang! I'm new to the site! Just signed up because I have a question on my first big road trip to the USA. My wife and I love road trips and this will be our second one to the USA, the first on being a trip to New York City last year during labor day weekend.

So here's the question:

Just wondering if you guys would have any tips or information on driving towards Louisiana from New Brunswick Canada. Me and my wife plan on driving down and visiting a couple of places along the way, most likely, Wrentham,MA (for a bit of outlet shopping, we're not big shoppers so a couple of hours here should suffice), Washington, Baltimore, Nashville and then New Orleans. We will be on the road for 10 days and we really don't have any obligations. Which means, if we make it to Nashville and love it there, we could stay and not continue on to New Orleans. That being said, do you guys think it would be plausible to drive to New Orleans and hit the biggest tourist spots in a couple of the cities in 10 days? And if it is, do you think we could drive to Myrtle Beach after New Orleans for a day and night and then head home on the I 95?

Our plans were to shop in Wrentham real quick on day one, then head to Philadelphia to check out Liberty Hall and the Liberty Bell, all the while checking out the Rocky statue (I'm a big fan). Then from there we would hit Washington for maybe a day or so to then head over to Baltimore in the evening for a Orioles game. If Washington is as amazing as we think it is, we might spend a full day there to take as much in as possible. After that we were going to head towards Nashville and spend a day there and then on to New Orleans for a day. After that if everything is not too rushed and we have time, we would head over towards Myrtle Beach for a night and day at the beach. From there, we would take the I95 back home and stop in Hoboken for a quick treat from Carlo's bakery.

I know the outline is still a bit empty. It is because we are still in the early stages of planning our trip. We very much enjoy just driving, talking and seeing new things, so we are not too worried about driving a bit longer then 10 hours a day if needed. The ideal situation would be to visit things on the road to New Orleans and some on the road back to make both ways of the trip fun!

Any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
    Troy

Default Flat Out: Too Much

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming 'home' is Fredericton (The precise town in New Brunswick doesn't matter much.), you're looking at eight solid days of just driving, so I don't see where you're going to have much time, or any energy, for the sites you're planning on visiting. Even as a pie-in-the-sky wish list, this needs to be seriously scaled back to fit the time available.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated!! And you confirmed what I was already thinking. With the 10 days I have and the things I want to see, do you have any schedule tips on how I can accomplish as much as possible? Any ideas help. At this point, I'm going to simply put Wrentham in my GPS from Oromocto, NB (very close to Fredericton, great guess by the way! haha) and after the shopping go with the flow and on day 7 or so, start my trek back to New Brunswick from wherever we've ended up!

Thanks again for your reply! And other tips help!

Cheers!

From your home to Wrentham is going to eat up one full day - it's 500 miles, 9+ hours. Take I-495 around Boston. Plan on spending the night in the area. From there to Philly is about 300 miles - 6 hours, longer if you get caught in NYC traffic. There are several ways to avoid the real problem areas, all of which will add miles to the day.

Default Turn Around Point

In order to avoid a grinding, drudgerous drive at the end of and otherwise delightful RoadTrip, you should adopt a fairly stiff rule of thumb about where and when you will make the turn for home. The one I would choose is that with three full days left I must be inside an arc that runs roughly:

Myrtle Beach - Columbia - Knoxville - Louisville - Indianapolis

That will give you time to get home at a safe and relaxed pace with a little time for the odd serendipitous find.

AZBuck

6. Default

Thanks! All of what you said is great! For Boston, we plan on getting there pretty early in the afternoon as we will be leaving really early in the morning so we should be there around 3 pm (including the border crossing and a quick stop for something to eat along the way, suggestions?) We have done this before and it worked out quite well so we are hoping to do the same this time around. The shopping shouldn't take too long and if it does, we have to problem with a night in Boston. As I said, we are very flexible. And AZBuck, your comment is great!

Thanks again guys! Very helpful!

If you have any other suggestions or ideas, please post them! Anything and everything is appreciated!

Troy

Even if your shopping doesn't take long, I'd still recommend you spend the night somewhere near Wrentham. There's no point in knocking yourself out by trying to drive more than 500 miles a day *and* do shopping. Find a nice hotel, check in, go get a nice dinner, and relax for the evening.