1. Default Family winter Vac from WI to FL with kids- HELP!

Need some advice/ideas on places to stop along the way from WI to FL. Will be traveling in early december with three kids (8,6,2). Will need to stop periodically to let off some steam. Looking for things to do indoors since it will be winter and especially through the states of IL and TN (already used your route mapper and attractions link but not much listed in the states we will need to stop). Hopefully after that point it will be warm enough to do outdoor activies but any suggestions here would also be appreciated. We would like to take two days down and two days back for travel time. Mostly driving in evening and early early am so kids can sleep in the car but want to enjoy most of the day hours doing fun things with the kids. Thanks
    Last edited by cinkerswim; 07-23-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Default To Get You Started

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Without knowing exactly where in Wisconsin you're starting from or where in Florida you're going to, it's tough to discern your route or give you detailed suggestions for stops. But i did, a while ago, make lists of just such sites for each of the major trans-country Interstates. A few 'indoor' venues that should delight the children would be the Field Museum (mummies and dinosaurs!) in Chicago, perhaps the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum near Indianapolis, and Mammoth Cave National park outside Bowling Green, KY.

AZBuck

Default Problem........

Mostly driving in evening and early early am so kids can sleep in the car but want to enjoy most of the day hours doing fun things with the kids.
    When are YOU going to sleep?

Milwaukee to Jacksonville is just within a reasonable 2 day drive, including BRIEF rest, fuel, and food stops. If you want to "enjoy most of the day hours doing fun things with the kids" it's going to take you a week each way.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Without knowing exactly where in Wisconsin you're starting from or where in Florida you're going to, it's tough to discern your route or give you detailed suggestions for stops. But i did, a while ago, make lists of just such sites for each of the major trans-country Interstates. A few 'indoor' venues that should delight the children would be the Field Museum (mummies and dinosaurs!) in Chicago, perhaps the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum near Indianapolis, and Mammoth Cave National park outside Bowling Green, KY.

AZBuck
    We are starting from Madison area and going to Orlando. Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for.

5. Default

I understand your concern-there will be 3-4 adults in the car so we can rotate driving. Last trip we took, we left @ midnight and got 8 hours of driving before they woke up. Stopped enjoyed the day at a national park. Kids took nap and were able to drive another 3-4 hours, stopped in another city for dinner and and repeated it the following night with different drivers. We will take more time if it is needed but ultimately our goal is to get to Orlando but have some fun doing it.

I will say that I can't imagine how you're having any fun during the day if you're driving all night, and sleeping in 2 hour shifts sitting in a packed full van/car. I can understand getting an early start so you get in a few extra hours with the kids asleep, but I certainly wouldn't recommend going to the extreme's you've described. It is simply too easy to drift off, or simply not be fully alert and get into a crash. Not even close to being worth the risk, in my opinion.

Having said that a few other stops that I've made while making this trip would include the Superman Museum in Metropolis, IL (I typically head south through Illinois, via I-39/I-74/I-57, rather than going through Chicago), Land Between the Lakes - especially the elk and bison prairie, and Fort Donaldson civil war battlefield. The last 2 are outdoors, but the weathers been fine when I've traveled through during the winter months.

You'll also likely go through Nashville and Atlanta, with both having many possible indoor stops. An alternate route that I've taken would use I-65 and US-231 through Alabama, which would take you right by the US Space and Rocket Center (spacecamp) in Huntsville.

Default Maybe Rock City?

With over 1,300 miles to go in two days, you're not going to have a lot of time for sightseeing but you might consider Rock City on Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee. There is also a Civil War park on the mountain.

Have A Great Trip!!

When I was about 6 and my brother about 1, our parents went from Chicago down to Miami with us, in two days at Winter Break. I believe we stopped somewhere in TN overnight. There really wasn't much time for sightseeing on the way down, but we were trying to make sure the snow didn't "catch us" anyway. We drove days and slept at night. We did similar on the way back.

Donna

Madison to Orlando via fastest route is 1300 miles. Even with all the drivers you have, please plan on 3 days each way for safety reasons.